Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G1000 upgrade to WAAS/EGNOS: LPV, KAP 140, and capturing vertical path

I have been told there is no upgrade path for non-WAAS Garmin 1000 with the KAP140 autopilot. If this is true, this is putting the latest non-glass aircraft at an advantage compared to the oldest G1000. Reportedly they are, and it is reflected in aircraft pricing in the US. But is it true?

Really this is two questions:

1. Is there any way to upgrade a non-WAAS G1000 to WAAS? I would find it absurd if not, but I have not (quickly) found any Service Bulletins or other info about how it can be done.

2. Are you stuck forever with KAP140 if that is was what came with your G1000? As far as I can tell, no other stand-alone autopilot is seen talking to G1000 anywhere. And I have been told that upgrading to a G1000 with the integrated GFC700 is impossible. That is, not only very expensive, but actually not possible since the G1000 is an integral part of the airframe with no procedure for hardware altering. In comparison, early Avidyne-equipped aircraft have the option to replace the S-Tec 55(X) with the apparently successful DFC90 autopilot.

When G1000 was introduced, a great deal was made of the use of so-called LRU’s, Line-Replaceable Units, signifying modular structure of the system and implying that repair and upgrades would be simple. Now it seems that the opposite could be true regarding upgrades.

Last Edited by huv at 13 Apr 06:42
huv
EKRK, Denmark

Yes it is possible to upgrade to WAAS, dependent on the airframe, as it is the airframe manufacturer that deals with certification. They will issue an SB, so you can search on that.

It is not cheap: You have to replace the GIA63 units for GIA63W. To change to the GFC700 autopilot is much more difficult and expensive, if it is possible.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

What aircraft are you looking at?

$35K in 2013 on a Mooney

http://mooneyspace.com/topic/9745-gia63-2-non-waas-navcoms-for-g1000/?p=110849

Last Edited by stevelup at 13 Apr 07:58

It used to be $50k for DA42 but I don’t know if this is still available or it’s reserved for -VI upgrade together with AE300 engines.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It is for a heavy Cessna single, but I know a DA40 owner and a Cessna 172S owner who will also be interested to know.

So it is $35k or $50k to be able to fly LVP approaches on your old G1000 with the rate-based KAP140. Wonder what is going on here. I would imagine you could get a decent setup with G500/Aspen and GNS530W and an autopilot for that kind of money. But that is not an option if you have your eyes on a G1000 airplane.

No one heard of the autopilot upgrade? Of course that would mean that the panel/screen has to change, too, since the GFC700 has its dedicated buttons there.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

I have been told there is no upgrade path for non-WAAS Garmin 1000 with the KAP140 autopilot.

Our DA40 (PH-PCA) has a first generation G1000 (non-WAAS) and we were also told that it’s not possible to upgrade it.

I have been quoted a price for a change to WAAS on a Lycoming DA40 when I was looking at one a year or so ago. The Diesel is certified in a slightly different way so it’s down to Diamond if they offer an upgrade path. There are definitely SB’s for the G1000 equipped C172, 182, Mooneys, Bonanzas, etc.

Hello,

Just as an intellectual game (just after PBN course), I looked into WAAS upgrade, for a non-WAAS G1000 C182.

As you may know, there is a SB released by Cessna, with a Modification Kit, to perform the upgrade. It costs several tens thousand of dollars – just mad. Maybe the parts will be less expensive some day, and upgrade will be more easily feasible.
The only good point is that upgrade is rather easy: just swap two GIA63 from the avionics bay for two GIA63W, and change the two COM/GPS antennas. Upgrade the software, and you’re done. Much easier than Peter’s next winter

My questions was about AP coupling.

Without WAAS, the KAP140 is able to couple in NAV mode with any NAV/GPS signal (lateral).
In APPR mode, it will follow an ILS, LOC and GLIDE (lateral and vertical).

After WAAS upgrade, you will be able to perform LPV approaches.
Here and there on internet, some people claim that the KAP140 will have horizontal and vertical coupling for LPV, as LPV generates the same kind of vertical signal as an ILS glide slope.

However, in a revision from the initial SB, Cessna states this:

The Honeywell KAP-140 autopilot, if installed and operational, will couple and track the lateral guidance provided by the SBAS navigational guidance. However, the vertical component of any GPS approach must be managed and flown by the pilot. The KAP-140 autopilot WILL NOT couple to GPS vertical guidance.

Would be interesting to read your opinion about this !

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 07 Oct 06:41

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

The only good point is that upgrade is rather easy: just swap two GIA63 from the avionics bay for two GIA63W, and change the two COM/GPS antennas. Upgrade the software, and you’re done.

So how is the “tens of thousands of dollar” pricetag justified? Obviously the GIA63W units are not gonna be cheap but it appears to me that G1000 owners are completely over a barrel here as they have no choice if they want WAAS.

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

The KAP-140 autopilot WILL NOT couple to GPS vertical guidance.

The question is why. The only way I can imagine this is via the G1000 software, that it inhibits the GS signal when in LPV mode to the AP. Or is there something within the KAP140 which prevents this? Will the G1000W provide vertical guidance to other AP’s like the S-Tec 55 or the KFC150/200/e.t.c?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
146 Posts
Sign in to add your message