Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G1000 non WAAS Upgrade alternatives...

gallois wrote:

I realise that the static ports provide air pressure and that that air pressure goes to a box erc etc.
Without an ADC our altimeters read baro pressure if the right pressure setting is set in the little box. My question was therefore "does this information go into the ADC in order to be able to calculate a Baro – VNAV or is the output/altitude/level simply be displayed as it would be with a mechanical altimeter

An ADC has inputs from the static system, pitot system, and temperature. I doubt that the barometric pressure setting is provided to the ADC from a PFD input, but rather the PFD uses digital data from the ADC along with the pilot entered data for the altimeter setting to determine the displayed MSL altitude or flight level. Most G1000 systems don’t support using Baro-VNAV for vertical guidance on approaches (I think the KingAir has Baro VNAV approach capability), but, if equipped with VNV, they do use Baro-VNAV as part of the vertical guidance for descents based on the vertical flight plan entry. VNV on the G1000 on an approach only operates up to when the FAF is active on an approach, and after that point, GPS is used for vertical guidance. In the US, we are authorized to use WAAS GPS vertical guidance for LPV and LNAV/VNAV procedures. Advisory vertical guidance +V may be used inside or outside the WAAS (SBAS) SV. There are a few approaches in Puerto Rico that have an LNAV/VNAV lines of minima, but since Puerto Rico is outside the reliable WAAS vertical SV, there is a note on the charts to the effect that WAAS GPS may not be used for vertical guidance with LNAV/VNAV.

KUZA, United States

I think I made up my mind about getting a aircraft with a G1000 non WAAS.
It will work out perfect for me, and I can fly ILS or RNP LNAV, VOR.

But it feels like I will take over someone else problem, and let’s say that in 5 years it’s time to sell it and then I know that I will have the same discussions with potential buyers, and then probably even more.

Since this is a nice Cross country plane, it would feel strange if it can’t fly all approaches.

Sure, you maybe can upgrade it for 30-50k Euros but then that specific aircraft will be ridiculous expensive.

Rest of the aircraft is fantastic in all other ways…

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

You just have to push the price down another 30–50k. Tell the seller his plane is essentially an obsolete orphan…

But even then, it is is still difficult to find the parts. I wouldn‘t buy an aircraft intended for IFR use which cannot definitely be brought to today’s GPS standard.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 01 Nov 18:55
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Let me ask another Q: can these avionics do a coupled +V “glideslope”?

That’s very close to LPV.

That’s what we have in the UK, with LPV banned.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Let me ask another Q: can these avionics do a coupled +V “glideslope”?

That’s very close to LPV.

That’s what we have in the UK, with LPV banned.

I had a good overview, can’t find that page I googled…

All Non WAAS GPS units can fly all Enroute RNav/RNP.
The limitation is on approaches.

All VOR, LOC, ILS are fine since they aren’t GPS driven.

RNP LNAV is – OK
RNP LNAV+VNAV – Not working
RNP LPV – Not Working

So no 3D GPS approaches, only 2D.

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

Non SBAS (non WAAS/EGNOS) navigators can do +V if the firmware is later than a certain version, fairly recent.

I don’t know if a G1000 can be updated to such a version.

Some info in these threads.

Administrator

Non SBAS (non WAAS/EGNOS) navigators can do +V if the firmware is later than a certain version, fairly recent.

Are you sure? do you have an example of navigator make/model and software version?

You can fly +V without airport having LPV and without receiving an actual SBAS signal but your navigator has to be TSO146 GPS with SBAS = ON in the menu

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Nov 20:07
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Darkfixer wrote:

Sure, you maybe can upgrade it for 30-50k Euros but then that specific aircraft will be ridiculous expensive.

Rest of the aircraft is fantastic in all other ways…

If the rest is that fantastic, then negotiate a price which reflects the upgrade. It IS feasible and the price of 30k is pretty much that what everyone who has done it has paid.

The parts do become available at times, you simply need to wait and grab them when they do. I heard Garmin does not produce them anymore, which pretty much makes EVERY G1000 non-waas installation a potential problem. But the GIA63W is installed in a large number of airplanes and some do become available. I know of one case where a G1000 owner was looking to upgrade and got the units about 6 months after he told his avionic shop he wanted to do it. The other stuff like antennas is available no problem, also the work involved is quite minimal. The airplane they were sourced from suffered a total loss when it was damaged by a collapsed hangar. I would not be surprised if e.g. in the US several GIA64W are available after the recent hurricane activities.

As I don’t know the airplane you’ve been looking at, the clear and easy alternative is to go for an Ovation (or other airplane) which is not G1000. There all you need to do is replace the main GPS and voila.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

my recollection is that you can’t just swap the boxes; you need some “dealer codes”. The G1000 is not configurable by the end user (a strict dealer/OEM protection policy) while say the G500 is user configurable since the codes are “out there”.

What I was told when inquiring for someone is that the only problem (and the expensive) part is the GIA63W receivers. They are plug and play (provided you have a WAAS capable antenna, otherwise changing that is a pretty small thing. And yes, there is some config work needed by the avionic shop, which is also not a big deal.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Is suspect no shop will do the config though, unless they are friendly and are happy to do it off the books – because if the aircraft TC does not support this, they can’t do it officially. And if there is an STC for it, you are supposed to purchase the permission to apply the STC. What do you think the 20-30k is for? It isn’t for a GIA63W box The mfg cost of a GIA63W is probably 100 quid. The rest is protectionist practices.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message