Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G1000 non WAAS Upgrade alternatives...

Ovations are 50%-50% WAAS and without WAAS, the only difference is built year MFY or coughing money for 3rd party STC, if you install off the books no one is likely to figure it out but it will come back when selling

I doubt it has to do with tiny manufacturers? or resources for STC? manufacturers are busy selling other products that they don’t care about supporting older ones, the same for avionics providers….this is the case for Avydine SR20 or Garmin DA40 integrated cockpit, I would say the same for Socata putting G1000NXI in TBM900 but earlier models have no way to go (other than third party STC to upgrade G1000 no WAAS)

The WAAS STC on integrated cockpits is a complex one as it involve Garmin, Aircraft manufacturers and maintenance shops working together…I think it’s easier to buy a new aircraft, then it’s all sorted !

This is only an issue for integrated cockpits, I have Mooney from 1988 with WAAS STC that can fly LPV (altough no LPV at home-base, only LNAV+V)

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Nov 08:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is it possible to do a G1000 LPV update off the books ? Let’s face it, nobody will discover it.

@Peter, not sure how to achieve it – AFAIK that while during the 63W upgrade an avionics person could replace all the wiring, the next step is to swap the actual units which requires software binaries & configs to be prepared by either a manufacturer/STC holder or a Garmin dealer, so at least Garmin will definitely have to know. Or you need a very cooperative Garmin dealer avionics engineer. :)

EGTR

For the DA40 DA42 and TBM with G1000 systems AIUI from an ATO which has been getting estimates to do just that, it is mind blowingly expensive and one might as well rip the whole thing out and start again in modular form.
It is not AFAIK simply a question of swapping the G63s for G63Ws, if you can get them, but the display screens have to be changed as well + software +.+.+.
Garmin of course are trying to push the NXi systems. But as my friends at the ATO are saying. “Once bitten twice shy” or “un fois mordu deux fois timide”.🙂

France

arj1 wrote:

I think the best case scenario is you replace 2×GIA63 with 2×GIA63W, which (if priced as new) is going to cost 30K+ (reportedly).

That is what the Mooney people do, if they can find the GIA63W’s necessary. And the price is about right too what I’ve heard.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

gallois wrote:

It is not AFAIK simply a question of swapping the G63s for G63Ws, if you can get them, but the display screens have to be changed as well + software +.+.+.

If you just do WAAS upgrade then it’s box swap (2 time GIA63W instead of GIA63) plus probably some wiring and antennas (depending what you have) and of course software while screen exchange is not needed. It can be less than a day of work. However, GIA63W are very hard to get which makes this upgrade super-expensive and it’s in range of 30k while it should be less than 15k.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

We did all this before and going in circles because those who know how to do it aren’t talking Even the retired ones aren’t talking. Maybe they are not actually retired.

I spoke to a US dealer who could “get me any box, no questions asked” and – I am sure I posted about it – my recollection is that you can’t just swap the boxes; you need some “dealer codes”. The G1000 is not configurable by the end user (a strict dealer/OEM protection policy) while say the G500 is user configurable since the codes are “out there”.

I would never buy a G1000 plane, although that is a bit limiting if you want the latest, and you want a t-shirt from their aviation clothing shop. In the end, 100% reliance on a dealer will burn your fingers, especially in Europe where everything is stitched up so tight.

The “Threads possibly related to this one” below contain good (depressing) reading.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

Does the information from the static ports go into the air data computer or are they kept separate?

I’m not sure what you ask? A static ports provides air pressure — not information. The ADC has to be connected to a static port. In G1000 Cessna 172s, at least, it is the same static port as the one used by the backup flight instruments. (OTOH, for whatever reason on a G1000 Cessna 172 with KAP140 A/P the autopilot has a separate static port.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Nov 10:17
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Probably because somebody interpreted the KAP140 IM absolutely strictly. You get this in avionics: if not in the IM, it is illegal

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I realise that the static ports provide air pressure and that that air pressure goes to a box erc etc.
Without an ADC our altimeters read baro pressure if the right pressure setting is set in the little box. My question was therefore "does this information go into the ADC in order to be able to calculate a Baro – VNAV or is the output/altitude/level simply be displayed as it would be with a mechanical altimeter.

France

Peter wrote:

Probably because somebody interpreted the KAP140 IM absolutely strictly. You get this in avionics: if not in the IM, it is illegal

This is a standard factory installation, so I doubt it.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Nov 13:24
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message