Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin G1000 non WAAS Upgrade alternatives...

“If the seller agrees to lower the price, as I don’t see happening I might change my mind.”
Wait.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Airborne_Again
02-Nov-22 19:29

AndersB wrote:

If you want to fly any kind of IFR practically, especially in Sweden, you HAVE to have “WAAS”. I would only look at it, with not only a vision, but a fully ready plan to upgrade avionics directly after the purchase. Could be quite an interesting, high-risk exercise in many ways, but of course there might be a solution.

Being a Swedish IFR pilot I don’t agree that you HAVE to have SBAS. The only thing you miss out on is LPV and while that is certainly good to have, I haven’t seen a lot of decomissioned ILSes in Sweden like they do in France.

Myself would be fine without WAAS on the G1000, and I can fly ILS/LOC or RNP LNav.
The actual aircraft I’m looking at it’s priced quite high, and if it had WAAS I would bought it on the spot.
But lets jump 5-6 years ahead and how easy would it be then to sell a non WAAS GPS equipped plane?
Guess you had to come down in price to sell it, especially since this one is a Cross Country aircraft.

If the seller agrees to lower the price, as I don’t see happening I might change my mind.

There are others, but this one is a SE- register and ready to fly.

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

AndersB wrote:

If you want to fly any kind of IFR practically, especially in Sweden, you HAVE to have “WAAS”. I would only look at it, with not only a vision, but a fully ready plan to upgrade avionics directly after the purchase. Could be quite an interesting, high-risk exercise in many ways, but of course there might be a solution.

Being a Swedish IFR pilot I don’t agree that you HAVE to have SBAS. The only thing you miss out on is LPV and while that is certainly good to have, I haven’t seen a lot of decomissioned ILSes in Sweden like they do in France.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That was my understanding as well the TSO129, aka non-W GPS, is not designed to provide angular H & V guidances, it only provides lateral H guidance

I highly doubt you can get +V on them? following +V on 3deg glidepath would require angular guidance…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

OK; what I meant was that the SBAS signal is not needed to get +V.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Non SBAS (non WAAS/EGNOS) navigators can do +V if the firmware is later than a certain version, fairly recent.

I don’t know if a G1000 can be updated to such a version.

I am not aware of any TSO C129 systems that do +V.

KUZA, United States

We are all aiming for perfection when buying a plane, but in reality it cannot be achieved and anything secondhand is likely to be a can of worms.

Or even brand new: the avionics warranty bill on my new TB20, 2002, came to about £100k! For a year I was not able to do long trips, due to concern about what was going to break next.

Since 2002 I have never needed LPV and never changed any planned flight because I don’t have LPV. Much more important is a good autopilot which flies approaches, and especially ILS (the ultimate lifesaver) well.

If I was buying a TB20 now, my main concern would be corrosion and other general mechanical condition. LPV would be way down the list, and I do fly abroad more than most GA pilots.

Administrator

AndersB wrote:

As a fellow Swedish pilot…..don’t do it.

I agree with what you write Anders, and sadly this plane was very nice.
I think my answer to the seller will be, upgrade it with WAAS and I pay his asking price.
But then again that probably won’t happen.

When I tough I found my dream plane…

ESMS, ESML, Sweden

Darkfixer wrote:

Looking an Mooney that has Garmin G1000 without WAAS.

As a fellow Swedish pilot…..don’t do it.

ESOW, Sweden

We did that here.

AFAIK the argument is ultimately purely money.

Every G1000 can be removed. You need a certification route for whatever it is replaced with. In the GA world, people don’t want to spend the money. In say the TBM/KA world, people routinely spend 100k+ on an STC. There are loads of e.g. G600 STCs in the turboprop world, which were done with 6 digit costs, to replace stuff like the old Honeywell EFIS-40 system (which is now maintainable largely by buying bits off Ebay and generally off the books).

Administrator
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message