Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The UK IMC rating / IMCR / IR(R) (merged)

Timothy will know for sure, but I did the IR(R) training and skill test with an off-duty CAA examiner in my N-reg Maule.

Last Edited by Jacko at 16 Apr 21:32
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Or you can do the reverse get IRR quick/cheap on a club aircraft

‘cheap’ and club aircraft don’t go together. PA28-181 rental in the south east of England is pushing £200/hour + the instructor. There are other package options for the IR(R) that would cost roughly the same as my non-equity + instructor but they are not local, so not very easy to access. But if the rules mean I can’t train in my non-equity PA28 then going for a ‘package’ out of, say, Bournemouth makes a lot of sense – it saves the equivalent cost of about 8- 9 hours flying over the minimum 15 hours training for the IR(R) when compared with local club rates.

One can’t get an independent view on this from a club so I am just trying to work out what is viable.

Thanks all,

PJL
EGMD, EGKA

I just checked, yes on south of Kent on prices you are probably better going off to south of Spain for an IRR ;)

Good luck with it anyway, if you have time and budget, you can also fly on your shared aircraft somewhere else where you can get instruction: those 30min solo flights gets you in good shape for the next training/exam flight !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

loco wrote:

I think the plane needs to be in CAMO to be used for training.

Depends if the school is commercial or not. If it is, yes you need a controlled environment. If it isn’t (e.g. a non-profit club school) then the same maintenance rules as for purely private flying applies, so a CAMO is not necessary.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

You do not need a DTO/ATO for an IMC rating. Any suitably qualified instructor can do the training and suitably qualified examiner can do the test.

So there is no aircraft to be put on the schools approvals.

My local school charges 145 pounds per hour in a Cessna 150 and if they do it in your own aircraft then the instructor charges 30 quid an hour.

They have 3 IRI’s and an IRR/IRE on staff

As others have said, IR(R) training and test doesn’t require any involvement of DTO or ATO. Let me know if you need a SE based examiner willing to travel!

Now retired from forums best wishes

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32019R0430

Is my understanding correct that this has been fully implemented and IR(R) is extended to 2021?

End of article 1:

(2) in paragraph 8, in the introductory sentence, ‘8 April 2019’ is replaced by ‘8 April 2021’.

EGTR

With the implementation of Commission Implementing Regulation (amendment) 2019/430 revising Article 4(8) to the EASA Aircrew Regulations, the CAA will continue to endorse the Instrument Rating (Restricted) (IR(R)) rating on UK CAA issued EASA PPL(A), CPL(A), MPL(A) and ATPL(A) licences until 8 April 2021.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I am not surprised. Terminating it would have been a scandal, and pointless in view of brexit.

What I wondered was how the CAA was able to do this since Brussels has banned other EU countries from negotiating directly with the UK on just about anything; they demand a single point of contact (Mr Barnier, generally). But the sentence below about licenses issued by other member states explains that; this is a valid unilateral move by the UK CAA.

I went looking for the original text but all I can find is an AOPA UK press release, which says

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From here

Really, I never cease to be surprised that some people are so convinced that EASA is evil that they grasp at every straw that seems to support their conviction.

I consider that the EASA’s attempt to eliminate the UK IMC rating arose from a deliberate policy to further a political project (pan-European uniformity) at the cost of British lives. Whether that’s “evil” is obviously a matter of opinion, connected to history and culture in each of the Member States.

I have owned and flown FAA and EASA registered aircraft in roughly equal measure. The difference, in my experience, is that the FAA actually achieves its mission to create a safe and efficient airspace for light GA.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message