Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The UK IMC rating / IMCR / IR(R) (merged)

OK, so now that geezer’s got the job of screwing-up standardising EASA rules for remotely piloted aircraft, but before we breathe a sigh of relief, does his successor have any practical flying experience or show any other interest in our safety?

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Won’t the upcoming basic IR be pretty much like the IR(R)?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

No, the UK IMC rating really cannot be compared to anything, since it only exists (and can only make sense) in a very specific airspace context (the UK). The proposed BIR will not be restricted to a single country, nor will it carry any restrictions on accessible airspace classes.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Ummmmm… no. The UK IMc rating would work perfectly well in all countries except perhaps Italy, and arguably even better. It gives access to all airspace that is not class A, but there is only one airport in Britain that requires class A access – Heathrow.

Yes, in the UK the en-route airspace is class A, so training omits the corresponding procedures, but that is really not that hard.

Biggin Hill

The UK IMc rating would work perfectly well in all countries except perhaps Italy,

Indeed, which is exactly why it cannot be accepted in any of those countries. It would be almost like a full IR but without the “rigorous” training and exams, which is politically unacceptable.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

In the words of Eric Sivel, 2008

Was that the meeting at Duxford, Peter? If so, I recall with a warm glow being at the back of the room, and after Mr Sivel had been drowned out by an aircraft taxying by outside, being able to advise him that we had been unable to hear him because of the sound of the Spitfire going past!

Last Edited by Aveling at 23 Dec 12:51
EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

London actually. Big event at the CAA HQ (Lonon not Gatwick). I represented the hastily assembled “Campaign to Save the IMC Rating”. PPL/IR didn’t want to get involved because they were IR holders (they invited IMCR holders in later years, to get the numbers up) and someone decided it was supposed to be AOPA UK’s job, but they didn’t do anything much, as usual, seemingly wanting to represent grass roots only which of course didn’t include the elite of UK GA which IMCR holders were

UK CAA have been good at looking after UK pilots, in general, despite nowadays having very few good people at the customer interface. So I am hopeful although as always with the CAA any move will be at the 11th hour.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One for the UK:
I use the IMC Rating calculation chart that I was given when I did the rating in 2011. However in those distant days there was no RNAV in my little world so it is not on the chart. Looking at the AIS plates for Cambridge as an example the minima seem to be similar to those for NDB and LOC approaches. There is nothing that I can see on this subject in CAP773 which appears to be the relevant official document. I’m flying with an instrument instructor on Friday so will ask them but also interested to hear the opinions of the house.
I know that the raised minima for IR(R) are advisory but as an occasional instrument flyer I use them.

Last Edited by Joe-fbs at 12 Feb 21:01
strip near EGGW

I would just use the non-precision advisory minima, same as NDB, VOR or LOC.

EGKB Biggin Hill

From here

@Qalupalik, have you seen/heard anything re: restricted IR?

There is this one

PDF made from the above .docx file

Not sure when and if it is going to be approved…

Last Edited by arj1 at 14 Mar 15:04
EGTR
Sign in to add your message