Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The UK IMC rating / IMCR / IR(R) (merged)

Peter wrote:

What I don’t get is why the UK is putting “airmanship advice” (and slightly dodgy one at that; most of the people who write this stuff last flew in WW2 and in their social media profiles are wearing a leather helmet and goggles while posing in a parked Spitfire) into the AIP, which is supposed to be a pilot briefing document.

The UK flying ‘establishment’ has never been very good at separating regulations and advice as they should be separated, clearly. It almost certainly has something to do with personality profiles – lots of people who enjoy telling you what extra rules you should be adhering to, and plenty who believe that no-one should be flying outside of club or school supervision.

EGLM & EGTN

Airborne_Again wrote:

Where have you read that? It does not agree with EU regulation 2020/359 (the “BIR regulation”).

Thanks I checked again my mistake, yes flying minima with BIR on ILS straigh-in would be > 400ft (I probably looked at an old non official doc)

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Nov 10:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

FYI on BIR, the EU law states 500/600 during BIR planning, actual BIR flying is done 200/300

Where have you read that? It does not agree with EU regulation 2020/359 (the “BIR regulation”).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

MattL wrote:

The Basic IR will have a legal 500 precision /600 non precision minima.

It does not. The BIR has operational minima that are 200 feet higher than the regular minima. So if a BIR holder flies an ILS with a regular DH of 200 ft, his/her DH will be 400 ft. (This add-on does not apply to circling, which has the odd effect that circling minima may be lower than straight-in minima! I guess the intention in that case is that the straight-in minimum should apply also to circling.)

The BIR also has planning minima. Before departure – or before changing to IFR on a Z flight plan – “available current meteorological information” must show that the ceiling at both the destination and any required alternate will be at least the highest of 600 ft, the circling minimum and the operational minimum.

Additionally, the visibility minimum (both operational and planning) is 1500 m.

All of this is in FCL.835(a)(5).

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 Nov 11:28
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

MattL wrote:

Worryingly, many IMC holders come out with the 500ft /600ft as a blanket standard

You mean as written on new licenses now?
I don’t think BIR comment in ANO is of any relevance to IMCR? or it has been mixed/merged with IMCR now in ANO as CAA dropped plans for BIR?

FYI on BIR, the EU law states 500/600 during BIR planning, actual BIR flying is done 200/300, the BIR test go down to 200ft (at least one ATO, I shared while ago who offers it), using higher minima for planning and lower minima for actual flying is how everybody operates, even those with ICAO IR (this is also the philosophy behind “aerodrome TAF accessibility” in EASA land, you plan on higher rating/alternate minima but once the engine has started you will fly lower destination plates minima, it’s not like there are that many choices )

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Nov 10:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

We did that here The AIP is not legally binding if the underlying law is more permissive.

What I don’t get is why the UK is putting “airmanship advice” (and slightly dodgy one at that; most of the people who write this stuff last flew in WW2 and in their social media profiles are wearing a leather helmet and goggles while posing in a parked Spitfire) into the AIP, which is supposed to be a pilot briefing document.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

The UK AIP Aerodrome operating minima that you posted says the "with an absolute minima of 500ft for a precision approach and 600ft for an NPA. The recommendation was surely the additional 200ft

AIP is not the law, especially in the UK! :)
MattL has posted above a quote from ANO (that IS the law) which saw that the only differences are: 1500m vis and no Class A airspace.
Which in practice could mean a normal Eurocontrol IFPS-based flight plan, for example, from Glasgow to Wick with SIDs etc…
There is nothing in the law that would stop you from doing this and that would legal flight.

EGTR

The UK AIP Aerodrome operating minima that you posted says the "with an absolute minima of 500ft for a precision approach and 600ft for an NPA. The recommendation was surely the additional 200ft

France

Do you have a definitive reference for this statement?

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

U.K. ANO 2016:

An instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes) entitles the holder of the licence to act as pilot in command or co-pilot of an aeroplane flying under the Instrument Flight Rules except—

(a)in Class A airspace; or

(b)when the aeroplane is taking off or landing at any place if the flight visibility below cloud is less than 1,500 metres.

Worryingly, many IMC holders come out with the 500ft /600ft as a blanket standard – OCH may of course actually drive it higher, and I’ve even had some mess up the height/altitude appreciation which could be particularly lethal.

Last Edited by MattL at 22 Nov 06:46
Posts are personal views only.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
157 Posts
Sign in to add your message