Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The UK IMC rating / IMCR / IR(R) (merged)

Peter, D060802/01 (that doc files) is referred from the following page:
http://ec.europa.eu/transparency/regcomitology/index.cfm?do=search.documentdetail&Dos_ID=17242&ds_id=60802&version=1&page=1
And it says Draft regulation, hence me asking if there is a link somewhere to non-draft, but looks like we’ll have to wait!

EGTR

After it passes EASA Committee, which happened at the end of Feb, it goes for translation and scrutiny in Parliament. That should be quicker than it used to be, and it might be published in the OJEU in April.

bookworm, thank you!

EGTR

Isn’t there a 20 day delay from being published in the Official Journal until a Commission Implementing Regulation takes effect?

London, United Kingdom

Yes. So we might have a gap during which no IR(R)s can be issued, or the CAA might issue an exemption to cover it. I don’t think it affects the exercise of ratings already issued, but I might be wrong there.

If I understand it correctly, there appears to be an expectation that the opportunity to add the IR(R) to an EASA license will be extended beyond April 2019 , here
https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/10510-uk-imcr-ir-r-2019-news#post_207040

A question for the instructors on this forum:

I have a ‘non-equity share’ (rental) in a PA28 where the aircraft would appear to be adequately equipped with avionics for the IR(R) but my local flying school has said I can’t use it for IR(R) instruction because the aircraft is not listed as being an aircraft on their ATO.

Is this likely to be a club ‘policy’ or a legitimate CAA requirement that will require me to hire a club aircraft if I want to add the IR(R) to my license (assuming the above extension is granted) at an additional £80+ per hour cost.

I guess I’m looking to see if I can engage a freelance instructor to train me for the IR(R) in the PA28 aircraft that I plan to fly for the foreseeable future.

Any thoughts?

PJL
EGMD, EGKA

If they want to, the ATO can add your plane in his list (I did this with mine in France)

I lent my private aircraft to an ATO for IR training. Signed a short agreement. I think the plane needs to be in CAMO to be used for training.

LPFR, Poland

Yes, understood. Certain privately owned aircraft have seemingly been added to the ATO’s list but there is no chance this one will be added. I don’t know if this is due to ATO requirements or club preference.

PJL
EGMD, EGKA

PJL wrote:

but my local flying school has said I can’t use it for IR(R) instruction because the aircraft is not listed as being an aircraft on their ATO.

They probably mean their instructors don’t know how to fly your aircraft , my understanding for most “ATO trainings” (=PPL, CPL, IR) adding an aircraft to the ATO is no big deal if it is on EASA CofA and can be used for public transport/hire (certainly the case of those on non-equity share)

AFAIK IMC rating training (&NPPL) can be done outside ATO scope with a freelance instructor, the exam will certainly end up with an ATO aircraft, so the whole lot will not be cheap nor convenient at the last bit: most freelance instructors do charge a lot on top but some are really good and worth it, especially those who do fly on IRR privileges for their own private use (finding one will be tough as most of them did probably let it lapse last year )

Or you can do the reverse get IRR quick/cheap on a club aircraft and then fly with a freelance instructor later in your aircraft

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Apr 21:50
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message