Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The UK IMC rating / IMCR / IR(R) (merged)

arj1 wrote:

Qalupalik, have you seen/heard anything re: restricted IR?

Are you referring to the BIR? This thread.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

rj1 wrote: Qalupalik, have you seen/heard anything re: restricted IR?

Are you referring to the BIR? This thread.

no, UK IMC, aka restricted IR.
It was supposed to expire in 2019…

EGTR

Posts moved to a new thread, because this is a very important standalone topic.

There was a rumour posted on FB yesterday stating that the CAA has done a deal with EASA to keep the IMCR to 2020 or 2021. The poster refused to give details, saying they were available only to AOPA members I told him I am a member of AOPA US and thus IAOPA but this cut no ice with this very important character I don’t believe it since (a) the CAA publishes an IN (Information Notice) on any concrete developments (though usually only at the 11th hour) and (b) there has been a general prohibition on any deals done pre-brexit (to give Mr Barnier the negotiating monopoly i.e. to prevent a breakup of the EU bloc under trade etc pressures), with the Spanish (the “Brits living in Spain” issue) the only exception I am aware of.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

When you say ‘keep’ the IMCr / IR(R) do you mean keep the right to issue new ones, or keep the right for existing ones to be valid?

I’d been working on the assumption that mine is valid forevermore in UK airspace. What I am really hoping for is that they allow me to exchange it (perhaps with some uplift training) for a BIR.

EGLM & EGTN

My view is that it is pretty well guaranteed that the IMCR will remain valid (and trainable) with some kind of UK-only license and a G-reg* and in UK airspace only.

It would be an absolute travesty if Brussels blocked new use or new issuance of a Rating which has served the UK so well and with such a great safety record, and I cannot believe the CAA would abandon it.

As for the rest, who knows?

IMCR training so that it is usable towards an IR

* there is a separate argument that the CAA has no legal power (short of ANO amendment) to limit any license to a G-reg.

Administrator

Graham wrote:

When you say ‘keep’ the IMCr / IR(R) do you mean keep the right to issue new ones, or keep the right for existing ones to be valid?

I’d been working on the assumption that mine is valid forevermore in UK airspace. What I am really hoping for is that they allow me to exchange it (perhaps with some uplift training) for a BIR.

Graham, if I remember rightly, then IR(R) is valid for 2 year since last renewal/revalidation, even it has been cancelled by EASA afterwards.
So, if EASA drops it from a certain date and you’ve refreshed it before that, you’ll have another 2 years to do something about this. (or 25 months?)

BIR – too early to say, I think.

CB/IR to my knowledge allows for some credit.
As I read it, if you’ve got your IR(R), got 30hrs PIC XC IFR (not necesserily in IMC), then you should be able to go through CB/IR theory and do 10hrs flying at ATO (minumum mandated, more be needed) and do a skills test…
That is my understanding of current Part-FCL.

EGTR

I am pretty sure that I had a mailshot this week saying that it has been reprieved again until the BIR is in force. Unfortunately I have deleted the email. I’ll dig around CAA and AOPA web sites for it.

strip near EGGW

I thought I’d posted this already. As part of the modular LAPL package, the following was passed at EASA Committee last month:

Article 4 of Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 is amended as follows:
(2) in paragraph 8, in the introductory sentence, “8 April 2019” is replaced by “8 April 2021”.

Bookworm, do you know when they are going to publish this?
Currently last update for 1178/2011 I can find is 2019/27 of 19-Dec-2018.
https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/regulations/commission-implementing-regulation-eu-201927

What am I doing wrong?

EGTR

It was quite hard to find (the method is to google on some long and hopefully unique phrase in a document, possibly enclosing it in quotes) and it is here and bizzarely in a Word format. Why use a Word format, which can hide various stuff like edits?

It is the document in post #01 above. The 2021 date is on the last page.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message