Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Random flying photos thread

Please state the location

Night rating training around EBKT

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

Beautiful, but with so much light around, not much of a good training for airports which are out there in between the fields. Very different.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Beautiful, but with so much light around, not much of a good training for airports which are out there in between the fields

Gotta start somewhere 🤷‍♂️. I found locating the airport in a sea of lights surprisingly difficult by the way, in particular laterally on downwind.

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

It’s a big topic (e.g. here) but most “night” flight at PPL level is done when there is plenty of light around.

It is good risk management anyway for an SEP, but really to fly on a properly dark night you need to be fully instrument capable – pilot and aircraft. It is just like IMC. It’s an anomaly that one is able to do it legally

Great pics!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It’s an anomaly that one is able to do it legally

The big difference is that there are no IFR procedures for night VFR, nor is there a requirement for IFR precision. Controlling the aircraft with reference to instruments is the easy part of IFR.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Gotta start somewhere 🤷‍♂️. I found locating the airport in a sea of lights surprisingly difficult by the way, in particular laterally on downwind.

Sure. Spotting an airfield that is out in the nowhere tends to be easier. Just try to also get some training in at an airfield with no lights all around. Quite a challenge for pilots without instrument skills.

Also, try to get some training at an airfield where there is no PAPI (which makes the final descent tricky) and where there is no centreline lighting (which makes the flare much more difficult).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Feb 09:36
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Tango wrote:

I found locating the airport in a sea of lights surprisingly difficult

If there’s pilot controlled lighting you can dim and brighten the lights: the runway disappearing and reappearing makes it easier to find. Maybe not if someone is on short final though

Last Edited by Capitaine at 02 Feb 09:49
EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Pic of the day… today’s pizza hunt route took me by Martinsloch (Martin’s hole)… 22m in height and 19m in width, it should be plenty enough for my 7m span… but today was not the day

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Now take it easy Dan, we want to continue to enjoy your pics for years to come..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

today was not the day

It will come soon…I did balloon busting and flying between poles in Turbs, I think consistency starts after 30 practice attempts

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message