Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Greek Airports (being sold to FRAPORT in Germany) and many new problems

This is so sad to see: my colleague Sam and I stopped at Corfu / Kerkira / LGKR in Oct 2013 in my Cherokee on our way to Australia and it was one of the best stops, and the prices were reasonable (for GA).

We’re flying back down there this summer to visit friends – here are the costs we have been quoted for the stops we are making on the way down (inc handling, parking etc etc):

• Cannes – 38 euros
  • Pescara – 30 euros
  • Corfu – 618 euros. (YES 618!!) to land and park for a week.

I mean, FFS..!!! About £550…!!

As there are family and friends already committed to meet us in Corfu, it looks like we are just going to have suck on this. We won’t be going back any time soon after that, sadly :(

Yeah baby!
EGTB

Actually, you can count yourself lucky. In summer, they will often not allow you to park for one entire week at all, because of “no space”. See the photo further up posted by petakas.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes the Corp pigs at work. First they get the Govt to give them a monopoly then they rape the users. Corp maleficence is rampant everywhere. For them to be able to charge those fees they should have to pay for all the airport costs including fair value price of the airport and pay property taxes. Once that happens you can be sure they will retreat back to Germany.

Here is a British company that is attempting to do the same thing in the US.
However we have AOPA backed up by Transportation laws that require fair access. Something that the Brussels think tanks cant understand or accept this concept.

KHTO, LHTL

Aussie_Andy wrote:

Cannes – 38 euros
Pescara – 30 euros
Corfu – 618 euros. (YES 618!!) to land and park for a week.

Below is an email that was sent to COO of Fraport Greece (with personal data removed).

Sent: Friday, April 13, 2018 3:41 PM
To: XXXXXXXXXX
Subject: THE DEATH OF GENERAL AVIATION IN GREECE-a personal experiance.
Importance: High

Dear Mr. XXXXXX

Chief Operating Officer COO Fraport Greece.

I trust my email finds you well.

As a business man I am fully aware of the dynamics of an open competitive environment which in my mind promotes better service and products at competitive rates , most often resulting in higher quality services and at a cheaper cost.

I am an advocate of private industry, and fully understand the need for profitable enterprise.

I am also a private pilot since 1986 having lived and flown in various countries.

For the last 20 of those years I have enjoyed the benefits and thrills of General Aviation in Greece albeit with its difficulties in the past as regards to Public operated Airports.

I was extremely hopeful that the privatization of a host of important airfields in Greece by Fraport would usher in a NEW ERA of convenience, improved services and reasonable cost as I have enjoyed in other parts of the world(Germany,UK,South Africa,Croatia etc)

I fully expected that we would need to pay a little extra for all as per above.

To my DISMAY and UTER ASTONISHMENT not to mention DISAPPOINTMENT I discovered on the 9/4/18 that the world of General Aviation as we know it in Greece is well and truly DECEASED.

I applied for PPR to LGSA via my ground handler Goldair on the 19/3/18 requesting ppr for a flight to LGSA ON THE 6/4/18 from LGMG and returning to LGMG on the 9/4/18.

My ground handler had to send multiple reminders , I finally received my PPR on the 2/4/18,fully 15 days later and only a few days before my flight , as you may well imagine this is not conducive to planning efficiency for persons wishing to conduct any sort of flight and especially for overall planning purposes.

The death of GA IN Greece though does not arise from this unacceptable lack of service re the PPR….

It arises from the incredible cost of using a Fraport airport for a weekend by a GA aircraft of 2,8 tons.

I WAS CHARGED 458,73 EUROS

HANDLING…24 EUROS..REASONABLE I THINK(AFTER ALL THEY DID MOST OF THE WORK)

CREW TRANSPORT 37.00 EUROS…AS WE WERE TOLD TO PARK IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE ON THE VERY EDGE OF DISUSED APRON..I SUPPOSE REASONABLE UP TO A POINT.

PPR….34,72…FOR A DELAYED PPR OF 15 DAYS+ AND FOR A FEW MINUTES WORK….UNREASONABLE COST.

PASSANGER TAX…24,00….2 PAX…OK WE HAVE KNOWN THIS FOR YEARS AS SPATOSIMO.

HERE IS THE BEST PART:

LANDING AND PARKING …288,40 EUROS

MANAGERS OF FRAPORT…IT IS OBVIOUS YOU DO NOT WANT US AT YOUR AIRPORTS.

IF YOU HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT THE AVERAGE GA PILOT WHO WANTS TO ENJOY A WEEKEND USING ONE OF YOUR AIRPORTS ON OUR LOVELY ISLANDS CAN AFFORD TO PAY 450EUROS PER WEEKEND THEN I FEEL YOU ARE COMPLETELY OUT OF TOUCH WITH THE REALL GA WORLD.

THESE AIRPORTS YOU CONTROL IN GREECE ARE NOT EDDF.

Speaking for myself ,I can accept that charges for use would be a little more expensive than what we were used to during the public sector admin…however either you have not thought this thru enough, or persons involved think that GA PILOTS ARE RICH individuals so charge an earth for services and they will pay anyhow…or you have decided to kill GA in Greece at your airports for the next 30 years…

As I said at the beginning…I believe open competition in the private sector is conducive to increased value of services at reasonable cost…ALAS THERE IS NO COMPETITION.

In closing…please be assured that I am at your disposal to discuss at any time and express my view of our needs as GA pilots to try and help find a reasonable solution and cost structure so that we/I may be able to enjoy your services REPEATEDLY at our airported Islands.

My best regards

Yours Sincerely.
XXXX XXXXXX

President/CEO XXXX XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXXXX
Head Office: XXXXXX XXXXXX
Tel: XXXXXXX
email: XXXXXXXXXX
Greece Branch: XXXXXX XXXXXX
LGMG Megara, Greece

boscomantico wrote:

fyi, the cost examples on www.aopa.gr (https://www.aopa.gr/images/greece_airport_charges.pdf) still seem to reflect the “old” Fraport fees and miss the newest increases, no?

AOPA Hellas updated that document. The one on line is the April 2018 version.

LGMG Megara, Greece

As a GA pilot which has only an alternative option to avoid FRAPORT I do subscribe the above email.

LPSR, Portugal

lmsl1967 wrote:

I do subscribe the above email.

What do you mean ?

LGMG Megara, Greece

That I fully agree and unfortunately feel it on my pocket, FRAPORT is killing GA.

In Cyprus we have few other options outside FRAPORT. Turkey it’s out of bounds, internal flights are limited between Larnaca and Pafos, 3,500 ft, mostly a single VFR route of a few training areas. With a normal 06H45 range with reserves, if I get a 14kt headwind, 8 will arrive the next airport after Greece with fumes (Skopje).

I can opt by an additional 01H30 detour by Sitia or an expensive (very) technical stop in Rodes or Samos for AvGas.

Last Edited by lmsl1967 at 14 Apr 10:54
LPSR, Portugal

lmsl1967 wrote:

will arrive the next airport after Greece with fumes (Skopje).

I can opt by an additional 01H30 detour by Sitia or an expensive (very) technical stop in Rodes or Samos for AvGas.

In your case for a technical stop i.e. entry/refuel/exit, Athens LGAV is your best option. Much cheaper than Fraports and excellent service to light aircraft as long as you follow ATC instructions when they mix you with the airline traffic. Your cost incl. handling should not exceed 80~90 Euro.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Never though about it. Thanks a lot, will go for it next time.

LPSR, Portugal
Sign in to add your message