Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diamond DA50

arj1 wrote:

I still hope they at least add the chute later.

And go through the certification process again? Further weight increase? Highly unlikely! Diamond does not see a need for a chute.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Diamond does not see a need for a chute.

Well, in this case I guess the market isn’t going to see much need for a DA50.

It’s baffling indeed.

always learning
LO__, Austria

It is nice though…

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Double the horsepower and you have a winner 😄

EBST, Belgium

airways wrote:

Double the horsepower and you have a winner 😄

And move that idiotic center stick to the side.

.. and pressurize it…

Biggin Hill

172driver wrote:

And move that idiotic center stick to the side.

As with the two previous aircraft I’ve purchased, I doubt whether any future aircraft I might purchase would have anything other than a real stick in the conventional location. Given how much better it works in controlling the plane, and how much more comfortable it is, I think that the stick location, along what the reputed flying qualities are about the only thing that I find attractive about this particular plane in comparison with similar aircraft.

My experience in flying an aircraft with a cabin wall mounted stick was in a Lancair IV. Not a particularly enjoyable plane to maneuver, and I think it’s a positive that Diamond hasn’t yet removed the actual flying experience from flying their planes.

Does anybody flying a plane with this kind of panel actually want to have their avionics resting across their lap?

PS the dark green paint among other features remind of a 1960s or 70s Barris custom car. This one even has com radios on the panel. I suppose other colors are available

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Sep 19:02

Silvaire wrote:

As with the two previous aircraft I’ve purchased, I doubt whether any future aircraft I might purchase would have anything other than a real stick in the conventional location. Given how much better it works in controlling the plane, and how much more comfortable it is, I think that the stick location, along what the reputed flying qualities are about the only thing that I find attractive about this particular plane in comparison with similar aircraft.

I doubt very much anyone will buy a DA50 to do low-level VFR bimbles. A center stick for an IFR tourer is ridiculous.

I don’t put anything on my lap for cross country flying, 3 hr or so legs at 130 kts or so. I find it horrible to be looking down on my lap while flying. Instead, I have 1 inch Ram ball mounts on both sides of the panel, and matching hardware to install anything ‘portable’ I might want to mount on either side. A minor mod, logbook entry only, no approval required.

I can imagine the issues in flying somebodies else’s plane, but I own what I fly and can optimize the cockpit configuration to carry paperwork and portables suitable for my use on a long flight. I don’t have to mess around with stuff on my lap. However I can’t change the stick location so I want the factory to put it in the proper place to control the plane. For the DA-50 specifically, I can’t imagine many are going into the rental fleet or that you’d need anything on your lap regardless.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Sep 22:16
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one