Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Diamond DA50

… depends on where the tops are … but in reality, not much except for the very brave who fly in weather where vertically avoiding TS extending above FL250 is required.

Biggin Hill

Yes, it’s nice to have options but I only plan for flight levels that can be flown with cannulas iso a full face mask.

EBST, Belgium

gallois wrote:

Do you get much benefit at flying Fl 280 instead of Fl250 in an SEP?
Or in fact any altitude above FL180?

I think from FL245 you get upper airspace with more direct routes.

EGTR

@arj1 correct, below FL240 expect dog legs and vectors.

Above FL250 you also need high altitude endorsement and pressure-demand oxygen mask systems, not the usual portable oxygen system found in an un pressurised SEP.

The regs have come a long way since a PA-18-135 held the SEP altitude record at around 31,000 feet.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The photos here make you realise what a huge plane this is.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Climbing on board doesn’t seem suitable for old grandmas Seriously, it seems to me a ladder and something to hold on to is needed.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@LeSving that’s very true the DA62 is high and the DA50 is the same size. The smaller DA42 gets harder to get onto the wing as one gets older.

France

Peter wrote:

The photos here make you realise what a huge plane this is.

1999kg and 5 seats.

SR22T is 1633kg and 5 seats, 3 rear only if passengers shoulders do not squeeze together. The 50 is probably a bit wider in the back, but three realistic adults (ie way more than „book values“) will probably be squeezed a bit.

Two of those CD300 engines in a 10 seat MEP, now
that‘d be interesting. Too late for Cape air, they already went with Tecnam‘s 2012 (Avgas powered Fadec Lycos).

I’m a bit torn on the 50. I guess it’s a great plane for people who can afford it easily and want a nice single in europe without messing about with Avgas.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I simply fail to comprehend the ‘raison d’etre’ for this thing. It’s expensive, non-pressurized, doesn’t have a parachute, unmovable seats, only goes to 20k ft and you have to fly it with a center stick. Just look at the seating position of the pilot in the sales brochure – you really wanna sit like that for some hours? I mean – seriously? I wonder what they were smoking when they greenlit this monster. Must have been pretty strong stuff.

172driver wrote:

I simply fail to comprehend the ‘raison d’etre’ for this thing. It’s expensive, non-pressurized, doesn’t have a parachute, unmovable seats, only goes to 20k ft and you have to fly it with a center stick. Just look at the seating position of the pilot in the sales brochure – you really wanna sit like that for some hours? I mean – seriously? I wonder what they were smoking when they greenlit this monster. Must have been pretty strong stuff.

Well, if it had pressurisation+FL250 or chute, would have been different story. I do like the way it looks, and I could see markit for it in Europe. If only…
I still hope they at least add the chute later.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one