Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How is Apple still in business?

Reading the comments here, I can’t help comparing Apple’s policy with that of the USA. Both are nanny states: they both protect the user against himself by restricting what he is allowed to do, but make the allowed things very easy. Some people like it, some don’t.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

That’s just as ridiculous as the journalist who recently compared Apple’s 3D face recognition with methods the Nazis used.

I work in three offices with three Macs and they are all connected with my three mobile devices via iCloud. Never before did I have a more comfortable and better working IT solution with all the freedom I want.

Other than that: It’s really the first time that I read somebody calls the USA a “nanny state”.

Last Edited by at 22 Sep 21:26

We still haven’t found out what is up with this iOS desktop and updates popup notifications mystery.

Well… I can tell that in my environment people use a MacBook as base platform and do all kinds of weird things in virtual machines. Why would you hamper your base without need? I always say I have no IT department to fix things for me so I use something that just works. As a consultant I have to be cheap and buy high quality :-)

At my clients I get to use and play around with all kinds of interesting systems but I get paid for that …

When I go to a conference the MacBooks seem to dominate in the audience and even more with the speakers. There must be a reason that all these software people have made that choice – don’t you think?

Knowing how to do something and willing to invest time into it is not the same.

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 22 Sep 22:58
Frequent travels around Europe

The tags I got on the Ipad 2 were on each app icon, saying there is an update available.

Dropbox is not a solution unless the hardware either never travels, or every item contains a contract SIM card with roaming I used to know a guy who said he never has internet problems anywhere. He was saying this for years, until it turned out that he was on a £98+VAT/month Vodafone contract and that was just his one phone

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dropbox is not a solution?? When was the last time you were at a cafe, hotel, restaurant that did not have Wifi? I used Dropbox all over India … A 1 TB professional account with Db is $ 99/year.

Other than that: i have a Vodafone contract that costs around € 50 per month with three SIMs, 6 GB of data for all of Europe plus the USA.

And if you don’t like that then you can still varry a wireless HDD and use that for your photos or videos.

Peter wrote:

The tags I got on the Ipad 2 were on each app icon, saying there is an update available.

Tags on app icons mean there’s new content within the app, e.g. new emails for the mail app. Not related to app update itself.

Peter wrote:

Dropbox is not a solution unless the hardware either never travels, or every item contains a contract SIM card with roaming

There’s apps with Dropbox/Google Drive support with offline sync, e.g. GoodReader.

LFSB

Google supports offline doucments (but you have to preselect them). Works well via cellular. These days roaming is pretty much a non issue anyway

The only way to upgrade an Apple product, is to put in on the table and slam it with a hammer. I have used Chrome OS for the last 3 years, a Chrome book. Everything is in the cloud, and the “book” is upgraded constantly, at least once a month. It’s just that it all happens in the background, you hardly notice it. All the files and just about everything integrates seamlessly with a PC also. The Chrome book is simply a light weight PC with a browser, but the thing is, for everyday use, it’s all you need. The newer books can also run all Android apps, integrating seamlessly with the phone as well.

I would say the Google “ecosystem” is light years ahead of Apple or Microsoft, but it integrates so well with a PC/Windows you hardly know if you use a PC or a chrome book. Then again, I could well be without a Chrome book, but never without a PC due to all the other stuff you can do with a PC. Even though the Chrome book is tailor made for in the cloud work, you can still store everything on an SD card. Perfect for travel.

Chrome OS can also be downloaded for older lap-tops, making them also instant power on devices that just work. https://www.neverware.com/freedownload

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I would say the Google “ecosystem” is light years ahead of Apple or Microsoft

Definitely the first time I’ve read that sentence

Sign in to add your message