Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How is Apple still in business?

Alexis wrote:

That’s not correct. iOS updates are NEVER done automatically.

That is not what I wrote, and I describe quite in detail what it does. It automatically starts the update process, and you have to either confirm it or abort it. As versions progressed, the option to abort has been less and less conspicuous (or it is my eyesight…)

Biggin Hill

Same with android. This evening, having got sick of the OS update nags, I rooted my S7 phone. Unfortunately that didn’t clean up the notifications and “failed update” nags. I guess some flags remain left behind, because a rooted android phone should not do OTA anymore (IOS does however).

Regarding blocking IOS updates, reverting one version back is no good if somebody has clicked on the update nag and updated an Ipad 2 from v6 to say v10. I put a “do not update” sticker on ours and still it “somehow happened” and a few things stopped working. Also some apps which used the USB “data sideload” back door stopped working.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That is not what I wrote, and I describe quite in detail what it does. It automatically starts the update process, and you have to either confirm it or abort it.

That is not correct. It does nothing automatically. It only starts the update process if you explicitely trigger it. If you don’t go to the update page and click UPDATE then it does nothing.

No iPad has ever updated its OS without the user clicking UPDATE.

Last Edited by at 23 Sep 19:49

Alexis wrote:

No iPad has ever updated its OS without the user clicking UPDATE.

Maybe not. But every time I turn it on it comes up with a window giving me the choices “Update now / Update this evening / Remind me later” or something similar. That sucks! I don’t want to update at all and I don’t want to be asked about it ever again.

And like Peter wrote, Android is not much better in that respect… Only today my (private) Android phone asked me for permission to install 34 updates. I replied “No” exactly like yesterday and the day before and the day before that – so why does it keep asking me? I will not update anything. Ever.

Last Edited by what_next at 23 Sep 19:55
EDDS - Stuttgart

I have never seen any iOS device asking me to “update now”. Never. Maybe that has to do with the iOS version? I have no idea, but I do not remember it… really.

There’s a red mark in the settings, and you can do it or leave it, but I have never seen anything else. Sonetimes I missed a new version becasue I was not aware it exists.

The ONLY time i am reminded about a new iOS version is when I connect the iOS device to itunes (by USB cable) and oopen iTunes.

To “never update anything” is a strange philosophy to me. I want my applications to work and I am grateful for every improvement.

Last Edited by at 23 Sep 20:03

One should never update something that does the job required.

On android, app updates can be disabled in the appstore app AFAIK. It is the damned OS update which gets the really obnoxious nags.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Maybe it does the job BETTER? I myself am constantly trying to improve the apps I designed, and I get many feature requests by users.
A typewriter “did the job required”, right? But maybe that conservatism lets you still be a Windows XP user ? YOu have every right to, but that’s not how the world works. Every software that is not consequently improved and updated will eventually disappear from the market. All but the moszt eccentric users like their software to be improved.

Or do you not improve your products?

Last Edited by at 23 Sep 20:14

Peter wrote:

Why not? It seems to me like good housekeeping.

PS. I’ve never had a problem with an iOS update and assocaited Apps.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

As far as I can recall, Apple introduced the iOS update nag screen to encourage people to update to a more protected version of iOS after it was revealed that certain Government agencies had rather more access to the devices than was intended.

However, I agree entirely that there should be a “don’t ever remind me about this version again” option.

EGTT, The London FIR

Dave_Phillips wrote:

It seems to me like good housekeeping.

“Housekeeping” reminds me of my dishwasher. It has been doing it’s thing since 17 years now without nagging for updates (although it has an RS232 interface for updates). I use my (smart)phone mainly for telephone calls, SMS and eMails. And the app by which our company tells us who we as supposed to fly where. All that it was able to do on the day when they gave it to me. Just like my dishwasher…

Anyway – my phones know everything about me. The Android one keeps telling me stuff about hotels in San Francisco which I booked 2 months ago on my computer (!!! and not on the phone) and through GPS and WiFi IP addresses it should know that I am half a planet away from there now. So if it knows everything about me, why on earth does it keep asking me for those updates which I am never going to install unless I lose my mind somewhere?

EDDS - Stuttgart
Sign in to add your message