Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How is Apple still in business?

Red Tags at App symbols on iOS screen:

They only mean that there was an activity, like that you got a new Facebook message. App UPDATES are only shown in the iOS Appstore. You can download and install those updates manually or you can let it happen automatically in the background.

DavidJ wrote:

Definitely the first time I’ve read that sentence

I think the numbers speak for themselves. Google (Android, Chrome and everything with it) works on everything, everywhere, independent of HW manufacturer. I can log myself into any Sony, Phillips TV for instance, and be right at home with all my stuff.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

We still haven’t found out what is up with this iOS desktop and updates popup notifications mystery.

Some time after a new iOS version comes out, the device automatically start the update process. This covers the entire screen, and asks you to enter your code and start the update. The conspicuous options are “now” or “pick a time”. There also is a little “do this later” option at the bottom, in tiny font. If you go for the “do this later” option, it will happen again after a few days (?)

In general, iOS updates are not really pushed on you in the first few days (not even a badge, so only the early adopters who check explicitly get it – probably to prevent server overload), then you get a badge, and if you leave it much later it goes into the above nag mode.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 23 Sep 09:44
Biggin Hill

ToniK wrote:

What’s wrong with upgrades? The vendor wants to give you enhanced, safer and richer software for free. What’s wrong with that?

It’s fine till it breaks stuff we use.

I’m working on the upgrade process for our server estate at work, and there is a lot of work involved in making sure all the interconnected systems will work afterwards (because it’s more than just an OS kernel level upgrade, there are also major revisions of software libraries, major revisions of certain pieces of software that provide infrastructure etc.) so it requires planning and testing and is quite expensive in time, even though we may never have to pay an invoice.

The problem is the same at home, just on a smaller scale. For instance, a forced upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 (even though I dismissed the dialogue) broke completely my very expensive Oculus Rift DK2 until I spent several hours fiddling with workarounds (this was while the Rift was still in beta), as well as breaking a bunch of other things. Apple updates tend to break fewer things, but the most recent iOS drops 32-bit support, and a lot of apps people still use will no longer work after the update.

Andreas IOM

Some time after a new iOS version comes out, the device automatically start the update process.

That’s not correct. iOS updates are NEVER done automatically. I have had iOS devices since 2009 and i always had to initiate the update of the iOS manually.

But it does ask you if you want to install the update now, or later.

Last Edited by at 23 Sep 10:34

Alexis wrote:

A 1 TB professional account with Db is $ 99/year.

We do about 1 TB data transfer over cloud per month using myairbridge.com
Is this 1 TB Dropbox the storage limit or the transfer limit?

EBKT

It is my storage limit, although I think they upgraded my account to 2 TB, free of charge. For what I do over the cloud 1 TB is plenty … I do not upload photos or video to the Dropbox, or only selected ones I need everywhere, like stuff for work.

I have a folder in my Db that always contains all my travel documents, passports, licences. And one FLYING folder that has airplane documents, manuals, maintenance manuals. Too bad I can’t store the TOOLS there :-)

Alexis wrote:

When was the last time you were at a cafe, hotel, restaurant that did not have Wifi?

If you instead write “did not have WiFi that works”, then I can say: a few days ago at a hotel in Italy. That is not at all unusual. You can connect to the access point, but then something is wrong with the router or DHCP server so that you don’t get any internet connectivity.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Sure, every now and then that happens. Solution: go to the next Starbucks und up/downlaod your data. Further detailled instructions for modern life upon request ;-)

I’ve used Macs since the very beginning. MacOS used to be superior to Windows in almost every respect — particularly with MacOS X which is Unix based, so that I don’t have to use a separate computer to run Unix programs. The only problem is that some software isn’t available on Macs, so I use a virtual Windows system just to run those. By the way, I’ve used the same Macbook Pro for nearly eight years. It still runs great. I can’t use the very latest version of MacOS, but I’ve yet to find any software I want to run that requires that version so it doesn’t matter. The most recent versions of Windows have caught up on MacOS but I see no reason to switch after having used Macs for 20 years or so.

Now, iPhone/iPad is a different matter altogether. I used the iPhone early on, but soon switched to Android because I didn’t like the closed environment where Apple decides what software I can or can’t run on my own hardware. The only thing that could make me switch from MacOS to Windows would be if Apple tried the same stunt on Macs. But frankly, I’d rather switch to Linux than to Windows.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message