Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How is Apple still in business?

If you are not interested in new technology, and if you are not curious about the many cool things smartphones can do, and even more so with every new generation – then of course you should never update it. If I was you I’d have a € 50 smartphone from the supermarket.

If you want to use modern apps, for photography, flying, banking, or to program the heater in your car (very useful, soon again!) or let the car tell you when the next oil change is due or the brake pads are down, you need to install updates.

If none of that interests you, then you don’t, of course.

If you want to use modern apps, for photography, flying, banking,

None of those require OS updates. The cameras are limited by the sensor.

The car, who cares? The heater in a car is controlled by knobs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No. The latest and best apps require the latest operating system versions. That‘s banal and it‘s known by most people in technology. But i guess i have to accept that some people find old software appealing.

So, do you improve the products you make or do you sell the same stuff since 1970?

Car heater: you did not understand. You program your departure time and the next morning the car is warm and ice free when you leave.

Digital cameras: Better image quality is mostly a result of better signal processing and software.

Last Edited by at 23 Sep 22:12

You guys are forgetting an important reason for software updates: security

It is not smart to have a device, running complex software, connected to a network – any network – without applying security patches. Programmers make mistakes, curious people find holes nobody anticipated and suddenly your device misbehaves or is used by something else unknown to you.

Unlike a simple physical device with a single function, like the dishwasher, anything that has an operating system is complex-complicated and – surprise – does have a bit of unpredictable behavior.

Frequent travels around Europe

A former colleague was in China when Apple released an OTA OS update…
Lovely update cost the company 6k, which they got reduced to 2k by arguing…

In 1st world countries, OTA updates make sense. In 2nd world countries, it is hit-or-miss. In 3rd world countries, forget it. Will just make life hard.
Same with cloud services. They all work in Europe, but the minute you leave civilization, they’re worthless.

Ghe difference between artificial and actual intelligence, as currently implemented by advertising and retail giants such as google and amazon:

If you walk into a shop and ask to buy fertiliser, peroxide, gasoline and ten pounds of nails, the shopkeeper will call the police.

If you buy fertiliser, peroxide and gasoline on amazon, they will try to sell you nails for the next mont or so.

:-)

Biggin Hill

lol, incendiary comment, I love it!
The trouble is, all of our comments are also filtered through Palantir’s digital beasts, which means your comment just flagged you as suspicious!
So, Amazon may be an accomplice, but they won’t send toilet paper to one who is sent to a moldy dungeon b/c some idiot A.I. didn’t like certain comments…

Thanks for that, Amazon and Palantir.
Everyone screams about the incredible statistics when arguing for AI to identify criminals (precrime) and it will be the outliers who scream because of the statistical anomalies inherent in the algorithm.

Humans have a conscience. Soldiers get PTSD because of it.
Machines do not (yes, I mean robots and AI here, they are machines).

Aaaand, 3…2…1… Thread Drift!

Last Edited by AF at 24 Sep 15:31

In that situation, I would worry more about whether they will sell me Crisco.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

In that situation, I would worry more about whether they will sell me Crisco.

Last Edited by AF at 24 Sep 15:58

The hilarious thing is this: I eventually got sick of the android nags to update the OS, so I rooted the phone (S7). I followed some out of date website and used an out of date version of Odin (the hacking tool) and 5 mins later I have a fully rooted phone but Android Pay still works No idea how that was achieved but clearly I should not ever update that Android Pay app

The main OS update nag has gone but at some point I will stick an entry in the hosts file to block the Samsung domain used to check for OTA updates, because I sitll get some OTA flags popping up.

Even just access to the hosts file (the ability to block the phone accessing selected domains or IPs) is a great facility. That’s why it is not allowed on any stock phone.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message