Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

I have to complete a project but second half may make a dash (PA28 relative speak) to LIMW probably La Thiule?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I am planning a Laax ski via Altenrhein St Gallen in March

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Have a look at the landing and parking fees at Altenrhein, they are extreme. Parking alone around 200 CHF per night.

https://www.peoples.ch/business-aviation/facts-figures-lszr/fees-charges

Was looking at Altenrhein as an alternative to Innsbruck, but costs are prohibitive.

EHBD, Netherlands

You could go to LOIH Hohenems-Dornbirn which is just across the border in Austria and use Altenrhein as your alternate or for a cloud brake procedure. We have family living in St. Gallen and use Altenrhein frequently, but indeed not cheap. LOIH is well equipped and close to the skiing area but very short (630 meter).

EDLE, Netherlands

My personal preference remains Courchevel. OK. It takes some effort to get the site license and remain current, but it is seemingly not too complicated to get a mountain rating on wheels so you don’t have to fly to Courchevel each 6 months.

I love the fact that I can fly into Courchevel with my skiing clothes on, my ski pass for the 3 Vallees already activated and that you can join the ski slope right next to the parking bay at Courchevel and start skiing right away. It is also one of those places where you can ski all day until the sun sets, then you can still fly home that same evening.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 26 Feb 09:17
EDLE, Netherlands

That looks awesome

I take it you don’t fly the plane with your ski boots on

I have been to Courchevel (airline) but for my level (probably low-intermediate piste skiing) didn’t rate the place much. Lots of “scenery” (Russian women wearing lots of bling). A good skier like you can ski anywhere and have a reasonable time. I found Courchevel crowded, and practically impossible to get to a slope right when it opens (which is by far the best time; you get a couple of hours before the apres-ski crowd wakes up from their hangover and hits the slopes and starts scraping off the snow into little piles ). This is where Cervinia excels: great pistes, and you can hit them early in the day.

On the plus side, the food and customer service were excellent and IME a total contrast to some other French ski resorts

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My skiing level is not fantastic at all. The ski slopes are wide with lots of them green or blue rated and well groomed. I haven’t experienced the crowd as you describe. It is a huge skiing area with over 530 km of slopes interconnected. But it is definitely not the most cozy place to go with the family and this time I stayed in a simple hotel right next to LFLE in Chambery where you can land and park for free and where the hotel is simple, but with a good Booking.com rating of 8.8 and cheap as well with a great pizza restaurant next door.

And no … I did not have my skiing boots on while flying the aircraft :-) but you take out your skis from the plane, put on your boots, walk about 30 meter to the skiing slope and are off skiing. Can’t be easier than that. At the end of the day you go down the slope and literally ski to your plane.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 26 Feb 09:36
EDLE, Netherlands

Is anyone planning to do a fly2ski in March?

The temperatures are still nice and low.

Mountain rating etc discussion moved here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@AeroPlus – it’s funny that it seems photos at Courchevel need to be taken with the left leg of the salopettes lifted above the boot.

Nice picture @Will_c

EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message