Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

Not exactly; those pics show slopes which were packed earlier that day (look at the snow)

For sure there will be less crowded places; always the case with skiing. But it’s one thing when someone lives right next to the slopes or has one’s ear on the ground, and quite another when one lives in another country and has to do a long journey, booking accommodation, etc. The risk (of getting a busy place) is much bigger in the latter case.

I think Italy will be interesting when it re-opens, supposedly 18th January.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Exactly Peter, look at the snow very carefully on the StMo photo. And explain to me how if the slope was “packed earlier in the day” you still see the pistenbully grooves in the afternoon…

Lenzerheide was taken ca 10 am. Yes there are ski tracks on it (because off piste is not groomed). Do you see people on the slope?

Zermatt was taken 930 am. Do you see people queueing up?

Laax today was taken ca 3pm. Do you see an easy off-piste run completely criss-crossed by the tracks of hordes of skiers?

Remember, we’re big on facts apparently.

Last Edited by T28 at 16 Jan 20:58
T28
Switzerland

I did check the webcams at the St. Moritz ski resort a few times during the last weeks. As I also did so in previous years, I think there are far less people there than usually. And it was never really crowded in normal years anyway. The restaurants with webcams seem to be closed. The airport has some international activity but I would guess just 25% compared to previous years.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

This is Chez Vrony’s in Zermatt. Which if you know skiing and food, you should know how it should look like

Do you see any indication supporting your thesis of hundreds of skiers and kilometer-long queues?

Last Edited by T28 at 16 Jan 21:06
T28
Switzerland

Lenzerheide, 0950 am. Or the time where you should normally see your “skiers packing the slopes early on” queueing up.

How many do you count?

Last Edited by T28 at 16 Jan 21:10
T28
Switzerland

Remember, we’re big on facts apparently.

Your contribution is appreciated, T28, but not your sarcasm – just like your predecessor here.

I did check the webcams at the St. Moritz ski resort a few times during the last weeks. As I also did so in previous years, I think there are far less people there than usually. And it was never really crowded in normal years anyway. The restaurants with webcams seem to be closed. The airport has some international activity but I would guess just 25% compared to previous years.

What is the availability of accommodation like there, in the general area? That might be a pointer to whether people are packing into some places and not others. When I was looking at getting a “last ski trip” in Feb 2020, I found almost everything solidly booked.

Administrator

Yesterday near Sarajevo – everything works, no restrictions except the number of people that can be in restaurants and cafes at once.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

@LFHNflightstudent ’s videos:

Fantastic!

Administrator

@Peter I was skiing in Switzerland too during the last few weeks, as my girlfriend is Swiss, and I can confirm what @T28 wrote. It is not crowded in the ski areas and the rules are quite well observed. Yes, there are a few exceptions, like Verbier, but that’s not the average Swiss ski area. Even famous destinations like Zermatt are quiet at the moment! You only see very few tourists from Germany, Italy, and France, but 95% are Swiss citizens.

Switzerland

@emir
What do you need to enter Bosnia (also possible w/o business reason) ?
Are the hotels open ?

EDM_, Germany
Sign in to add your message