Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

Our plan is to book a week off work in late Feb/early March (to be chosen) then between the Friday and following Sunday try for a wx window to make UK to Aosta and back.
We’ll just try to achieve as many days on the snow, in that slot if wx snow conditions and accommodation will align for us.
In reality a proper Ski holiday just has to be commercial flight or Surface transport, but as this is a ‘Fly to Ski ’ tick-box exercise, I’m prepared to accept as little as 3 days on the snow.
We’ll presumably ski Cervinia or Courmayeur.

United Kingdom

From nearer the surface

That’s some (very) low flying

In reality a proper Ski holiday just has to be commercial flight

With GA, you can only hope or cancel (re-book last minute or adjust dates is near to impossible)

In France, one has to avoid late Feb/early March as it’s busy with Zone C kids holidays !

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jan 19:26
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

From nearer the surface

What is the snow situation? On your picture it does not look that bad. But looking at the webcams for other places I monitor each winter the snow there seems to be quite horrible.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

In France, one has to avoid late Feb/early March as it’s busy with Zone C kids holidays !

Went through all the european holidays listed on Google and last week in Feb looked good almost everything listed from 06 Feb to 27th Feb. What am I missing?

Last Edited by GA_Pete at 04 Jan 20:56
United Kingdom

It is a bit on the hard and icy side but fine for me (intermediate level probably; can do all the reds in Cervinia, not tidy but adequate). One has to cut into the stuff. But today I went to the top of the mountain (maybe -10C) and it was fine

The thing as ever is to hit the slopes before the teenage snowboarders have woken up from their post-boozing sleep and trashed the snow

Mid Jan is great to avoid kids on the slopes here. But Cervinia is not a big family place.

We should try a fly to ski late Jan or Feb. But someone else will have to do it; I am worn out with the usual stuff where 50 say they are coming and then it all goes silent in the last few days

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Went through all the european holidays listed on Google and last week in Feb looked good almost everything listed from 06 Feb to 27th Feb. What am I missing?

In France, avoid the dates with “Winter Zone C” it’s for Parisiens & Versailles (aka not very good skiers but rich enough to invade Alps slopes with their kids), those from Toulouse go to Pyrenees

https://publicholidays.fr/school-holidays/

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jan 21:18
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

You cannot avoid some kids (of school age) at any internationally used destination, because different countries have them at different times. Sure; in France you can find places which are 99% French (Grand Bornand was obviously one) and then that would work. And pre-school kids can be anywhere.

Now try to line this up with a meet-up, weather, etc. Prob00 chance.

I would suggest going to a less known place, or perhaps one which is so expensive that few can afford to go there (Zermatt would be a start but – I did it once – I don’t recall a particular shortage of kids, and the skiing was nothing special at all).

Administrator

Cervinia yesterday:

Administrator

Cervinia yesterday

Beautiful. You arrived by CAT? To Turin?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes
Yes

Administrator
Sign in to add your message