Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

Few days ago the smallest rental car at LEJR was 60 EUR per day while last year was half of that. I rented directly at the desk while booking over internet gives a bit lower price.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

This summer, I have seen rental cars (small ones) for between 150 and 200 Euros per day from the big players. Supply and demand.

In one case (UK), I solved it with a “local” car rental service (which was still expensive, but within limits), and in another case (FR) with ouicar (excellent value for little money). In a couple of other cases, I just accepted a few taxi rides, as it was still cheaper than taking a rental car (Sylt).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

In one case (UK), I solved it with a “local” car rental service (which was still expensive, but within limits), and in another case (FR) with ouicar (excellent value for little money).

This summer in UK I got car from local rental service for less than 50% quoted from one of the big players, paying 170 GBP instead of 400 for 4 days.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I’m paying (or rather my company is paying) $140/day this week for a rough condition 2021 Toyota Corolla with poorly repaired prior accident damage and no ‘hull’ coverage. This is in the US Midwest. And any small fraction of an extra day bills as a full day, i.e. $420 for 2.1 days. Unbelievable. Glad I’m not paying out of pocket.

Also BTW commercial flights to Europe are right now the same price as 1000 mile flights within the US and European hotels are currently half the price of US hotels. Europe is currently on sale by comparison, so it’s a good time for US residents to travel to Europe.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Oct 18:45

Europe is currently on sale by comparison, so it’s a good time for US residents to travel to Europe.

Current EUR/USD exchange rate helps a lot.

Last Edited by Emir at 18 Oct 22:20
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

A tiny bit of snow has finally arrived in Cervinia. Slow this year…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Any interest in flying into Klagenfurt and going to Bad Kleinkirchheim?
LOWK checks all the boxes for airport services and NOT expensive
Need to taxi or rent a car 52min mostly highway driving .

https://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Austria/Bad_Kleinkirchheim.html

KHTO, LHTL

I was looking at LOWK in Feb 2020, just as covid was closing everything, but there was no accom – even at silly prices. Nowadays I am not doing skiing unless I can get a place near the ski lift because I am not interested in spending an hour on a bus etc and getting to the slopes after they have been trashed by 10000 people. Been totally spoilt by Cervinia

Administrator

Have you looked recently at ski slope accommodations? And pricing. There appeared to be some sales going on. At least it was advertised.

No matter where Ive looked there is always a 45 min to an hour ride from the airport to the slopes. So it has to be at least a 3 day trip. First day 1/2 day skiing then full day followed by a trip back.

Boy I had the days gone by where we would take off 6:30 AM fly to either VT or Maine from East Hampton ski all day and return that night and have dinner by 7 pm.

Wow just think of how guilty I feel now of the huge carbon foot print the four of us guys left on the planet with each trip.

KHTO, LHTL

there is always a 45 min to an hour ride from the airport to the slopes

There are exceptions e.g. St Johann (where someone claimed you could just walk) and Zell am See (a very short taxi; I did that in 2016). Otherwise, crazy 2-4 hour transits are common in skiing, with (IIRC) Wengen/Grindelwald leading the market at 4 trains each way

Administrator
Sign in to add your message