Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

Right

Putting together a fly-in of any sort is not easy, partly because EuroGA fly-ins are free, so most people drop out at the last moment if they find something better to do. This is a problem with airport parking (but Aosta has plenty of parking) and is a problem with booking a restaurant (but we usually solve that one).

Has anyone here actually been to La Thuile and can comment on how easy it is to get to the lift? For some reason I can’t get the satellite image on google maps right now.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yep, but 20 years ago, and not by car. I recall a car park near the main gondola, but as with most Italian resorts, some steps are involved!

EGNS, Other

It looks like this. North-facing slopes. Some accommodation near the base of the two lifts shown.

Administrator

I just did a preliminary flight plan from LHTL to LIMW and even with Rocket Route Proposal for an IFR flight it adds significant time to the route. I have to try and figure a way to game this system. One route is 16% longer the other 24%. One route is up to FL150 even though its no where near the Alps. Very discouraging to say the least.

Hate to go VFR and get busted for airspace incursions.

KHTO, LHTL

Normally one cancels IFR when in the Alps. You need CAVOK wx anyway and once flying “low” (say 2000ft AGL) nobody cares where you are. And the Swiss are capable of shafting you with a sudden “mil exercise” regardless of what you filed and regardless of what was notamed. A few weeks ago they refused FL160, which was ridiculous and could have been dangerous.

Administrator

Has anyone noticed large price increases in accommodation for this coming winter?

For mid Dec, I see 2x increases in Cervinia, and stuff heavily booked-out.

Re La Thuile, the expert skiers here (almost everyone who skies) will laugh at this, but La Thuile is north facing slopes, which is good for retaining snow in marginal temperature conditions, but can give poor visibility of the surface. I recall skiing at one such place (possibly one of the Oberxxxx places) and at one point realised that, with just the right sort of overcast sky, there was no visible surface texture; it was a complete white-out.

Administrator

@Peter We do see this ourselves, the big question about energy costs is driving hotel and skilift rates…

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

Re price increases…not really, have a few trips lined up, Austria &Dolomites(a must do place, Peter!) and quite pleased with the prices I managed to get :-))

EGNS, Other

Everywhere I have travelled this year the hotel prices have been crazy. Up 50% on precovid at least. Florida, Croatia, Greece, etc. And in some places its not a matter of the price of renting a car, its finding one to rent at any price.

All post covid adjustments. Sudden increase in demand. The looming recession will take care of this, but wont be fun in any other way.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Buckerfan wrote:

The looming recession will take care of this, but wont be fun in any other way.

I did just reserve a car at Tivat for 19 Euro a day. I think in summer they did ask for 10x that price.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message