Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Luxembourg ELLX as a GA destination

boscomantico wrote:

Before discarding this option: does Aerosport offer this at all?

It definitely used to, if you were invited by the club (club activity, or in the distant past for a fly-in) or if a member would vouch for you (if you don’t pay up, your fee is deducted from their club account) or just straight pay your fee out of their club account.

I don’t have definite information on how easily they still do so, as I never had to try, since I just use my own (airport and ministry) accounts for that purpose. I use that “informal” system mainly for when a mechanic comes for AOG situations or when a pilot comes fetch or bring back a plane for maintenance (and another pilot comes in another plane to bring the first one or to bring him back, respectively).

boscomantico wrote:

not being able to get Avgas via this route would be another issue.

As hazek and I both wrote, Avgas (not Jet A1) is out of a self-serve pump with credit card payment.

Last Edited by lionel at 05 Feb 10:28
ELLX

Sebastian_G wrote:

I did not try but in fact they should be able to handle a visitor parking there? Or are they not allowed to or do not want to?

They definitely did handling on P5 “before”. I don’t know if they still do. Did you take note that one cannot enter that area under power but one has to push the plane by hand (or theoretically tug if you have one onboard or if a based person brings theirs)? And no Jet A1 fuel on P5 for non-based aircraft (but maybe P2 has space for 30 minutes to refuel there, unless the Vice President of the USA or other such VIP is visiting)?

Last Edited by lionel at 05 Feb 10:29
ELLX

Sebastian_G wrote:

I wanted to visit end of last year. But the usual “we have no parking” etc. so on and on. A very GA friendly airport has transformed into a pain in about 7 years since I first went there. Also the fees increased from a tiny amout of a few Euros to something like 200 Euros if they would have had parking. And in the past they even had duty free JetA1 which is also gone.

It’s becoming a common practice among big airfields. The should really NOTAM this? Did you get a price quotation, or it didn’t proceed that far? I’ve seen some PIREPS for £250+

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

The should really NOTAM this

I think they finally did publish it but if plannig a trip with passengers, rental car, hotel etc. this needs advance planning. A NOTAM which is published on very short notice might be ok in a legal sense but does not help.

pilotrobbie wrote:

Did you get a price quotation, or it didn’t proceed that far? I’ve seen some PIREPS for £250+

Did not get a final quote but looked at the pireps and was expecting 200 Euro plus some.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

@Sebastian_G

Did not get a final quote but looked at the pireps and was expecting 200 Euro plus some.

I just got a quote for a C177 (MTOW 1134kg), and, after some email ping pong, finally got the total level of ~200€ for one day parking and one pax:

Landing 7.00
Departure 7.00
Parking 5.00 per day
Admin fee 18.00
PPR 30.00
BAC 125.00
Pax 10.25 per pax

Total 202.25 (incl VAT)

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Marcel wrote:

BAC 125.00
Exactly this fee makes a visit to ELLX or any other airport with mandatory ‘handling’ a true pain. We had the discussion of Salzburg (LOWS) a few weeks ago, where such a ‘fee’ was introduced. It’s the “stay away, we don’t want you” fee for any small GA aircraft. All other fees are actually pretty reasonable, even though 30€ for PPR is also on the high-end.
Last Edited by Frans at 11 Feb 11:31
Switzerland

True. However, at the end of the day it is the (sad) trade off between landing there, paying the $$$$, hopping on the free public transportation (during the weekend) to arrive relaxed at the destination, or paying way less by landing at EDRB Bitburg or EDRT Trier, followed by the hassle of making the way to Luxembourg downtown. Probably one has to rent a car which then will reduce the cost savings while requiring more time to the final destination…

Sebastian_G wrote:

I think they finally did publish it but if plannig a trip with passengers, rental car, hotel etc. this needs advance planning. A NOTAM which is published on very short notice might be ok in a legal sense but does not help.

I think this was happening a lot during COVID, because a lot of airlines stores it’s aircraft at smaller bases. Didn’t LUXAIR have to park a fair few aircraft up during COVID times? I know Cargolux had a stronger operation.

Marcel wrote:

I just got a quote for a C177 (MTOW 1134kg), and, after some email ping pong, finally got the total level of ~200€ for one day parking and one pax:

That seems likely what I was expecting. Presume bac(AT)lux-airport.lu?

It seems you can request P5 via the airport? The AIP says; Handling on apron P5 on request. Contact Business Aviation Centre

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

@pilotrobbie

That seems likely what I was expecting. Presume bac(AT)lux-airport.lu?

Correct….

It seems you can request P5 via the airport?

I haven’t checked for that…

pilotrobbie wrote:

It seems you can request P5 via the airport?

Why? To pay 2.50/day parking instead of 5.00/day parking? Or when they tell you no place on P2?

ELLX
Sign in to add your message