Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GA airport Helsinki

I guess I might still need hangarage this time of year. Is Helsinki-Malmi the best option?

and any suggestions for a fuel stop between Nice and Helsinki with cheap Jet-A1?

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 Mar 11:34
EGTK Oxford

ELLX comes to mind. Have I praised Luxembourg lately? It needs to be repeated that it is a very friendly airport with all IR amenities and cheap landing fees if you have an account with them. Cessna 182 unter EUR8 for a fuel stop.. If you get on the bus it will cost you though ;)

EDLN and EDKB

Yes Lux is very good but ELLX is not quite on a straight line. Was thinking if there is anywhere in Poland that could be worth using. Never landed there though and don’t know what charges are like.

EGTK Oxford

Wow, I totally misjudged how far east Helsinki is and had to look it up. Karlowy Vary reported JetA1 at €1.49 in late August. And that IS on a direct line ;)

EDLN and EDKB

To me, it looks like some place in the southeast of Denmark or the south of Sweden would be the best bet.
Roskilde, Kristianstad, Ronneby by or Kalmar spring to mind. No idea about JET-A prices over there, but I guess anywhere will be cheaper than in Germany.

Just pay attention to opening times at Swedish airports; they are very restricted in some places. Whilst landing out of hours is generally possible, it won’t work for you since you need a) immigration and b) fuel.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

EFHF Sounds gracy, but if you are serious I can confirm the monthly price. At least the hangar is heated and maintenance is accepted but possible to get hangar damages.

Matti
EFHV

It is just for overnight to prevent having to deice the next day.

And Bosco, will be coming from Nice so no need for immigration/customs. You are right, looking for anywhere other than Germany for fuel. Maybe mrfacts idea was the best one and do it in ELLX.

Edited: Actually that still makes the second leg too long. Poland it is.

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 Mar 17:32
EGTK Oxford

Sorry, didn’t spot you want to fly from Nice. That’s along day’s flying!

Poznan (EPPO) would be a good one for you. ~30€ landing fee. One of only a few major airports without mandatoty handling. Very short distances and very quick turn arounds possible. Fueled up the Silver Eagle there once, but don’t exactly remember the price.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 Mar 17:46
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks for the suggestion. Only about 4.5 hours flying subject to wind. Actually would go commercial but flights terrible to Helsinki.

EGTK Oxford

Malmi is a marvellous airport and worth visiting just to see the art-deco terminal building. Not to mention the spectacular approach at 800’ along the city waterfront. and the friendly staff. No idea about the hangarage since I only go in the summer! But enjoy Malmi while it’s there – closure is likely / certain. Apart from Vantaa, which might accept GA, there’s Hyvinkaa about 30 mi N of Helsinki on the train line (just about walkable to the station) with a friendly flying club who sold me fuel.

I stopped at Poznan several years back and found it extremely welcoming, with modern hotels nearby, cheap fuel and helpful staff including an excellent tourist information desk. Of course I had to ride the steam train (the last genuine scheduled steam train in the world) and they sorted out all the details for me. Best airport service of my career!

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message