Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly-in to Spain 27-29 Sept 2024 LEAP

How about the above? A fall-back could be the weekend after if the wx does not cooperate..

1. LEAP Ampuriabrava. Very active parajumper field. Good rwy, near the sea. The nice city of Girona nearby. Flying excursion into the Pyrenees an option. Privately run, easy. VFR-only but very rarely IMC. AVGAS and JetA available.

2. LECN Castellon (not to be mistaken for LECH, the big AENA Castellon field). Right on the beach (make an over-run and all you need to do is step out of your aircraft and go swim). Rwy is asphalt, a little rough but doable. No city nearby, so this is a beach destination. A flying excursion into Spain’s hinterland is always interesting. VFR-only but very rarely IMC. AVGAS, Mogas and JetA available. Here:

I understand @UdoR, the @terbang team (if they make it in time from down under) and @RV14 are interested. Together with the other usual suspects this means we have critical mass.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I will be aspiring to join this. Not a big deal perhaps for Mooneys and TB20s , but for TB10 it could be a highlight trip.

EDMB, Germany

I’m in for any Spanish location. Moreover, I’ve never been to either of above mentioned.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Hey Aart, count me in
LECN being my standard Spanish Mogas refueling point, I’d sure prefer something new, such as LEAP…OTOH just looking forward to whatever happens anywhere, and meeting you guys again

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I’d sure prefer something new, such as LEAP

I think we‘d prefer LEAP as well, but we’ll come to LECN too.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Dan wrote:

I’d sure prefer something new, such as LEAP…

I´ve used LEAP as fuel/lunch/overnight (5 days) stop a couple of times now and it´s a great action pumped spot with an excellent restaurant at the airfield, overlooking the runway and the constant flow of skydivers landing. I´d be happy to join at any of the proposed spots in Sep 24´.
There´s enough grass around the field for aircraft parking and it´s a very relaxed atmosphere at the airport (apart from the usual adrenaline pumped and hyped skydivers!). Obviously it should be checked with the airfield in advance if they can actually accommodate the number (I don´t know how many you usually are?) of airplanes parked – I don´t think this would be an issue – as the airport management seems very accommodating, but their primary existence seems to be build around the Skydiving center.

Last Edited by Yeager at 02 Jan 05:26
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

I had already checked with LEAP. A group of up to 20 A/C is very welcome.

That is remarkable, Aart. I have no idea where they want to put them. Everything is very tight there.

Would you suggest Empuriabrava itself as the main venue? Then a boat tour of the canals is needed.
Or rather Roses, which does offer a bit of an old town feel?
IMHO, the nicest beach in the area is Platja de Canyelles Grosses. Remember a leisurely lunch at El Mirador de l’Almadrava.
While Cadaqués is certainly the most picturesque place in the whole area, I remember that the drive in a rental car was a bit exhausting.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Jan 08:17
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks for your inputs @boscomantico.

Initial preference seems to be for LEAP, so I’ll focus on that for now.

I asked specifically for parking of up to 20 aircraft and offered that we could minimize space through dense low wing/high wing placement. Anyway, they don’t have an issue it seems. Maybe they plan for some of us to park south of the taxiway.. Will reconfirm with them in due course.

I haven’t thought much about the venue, where to stay, eat etc. I think it would be best to have everything within walking distance of the field. @yeager said the airfield restaurant is good.

boscomantico wrote:

That is remarkable, Aart. I have no idea where they want to put them. Everything is very tight there.

From memory, I see a lot of potential parking areas, apart from the normal fuel station and in front of hangars areas, if they are willing/able to let us use the space east of the field where they have the “amateur” skydivers land, which I sort of assume it is. (look at satellite google maps as well).
Would prob be a good idea to confirm with them, more specifically where they´re actually planning to park 20 airplanes, just in case they were “too relaxed” in their reply.. ;-)

aart wrote:

I had already checked with LEAP. A group of up to 20 A/C is very welcome.

Amazing work. Thanks.

Last Edited by Yeager at 02 Jan 11:21
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
51 Posts
Sign in to add your message