Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elba LIRJ Fly-In 2023 - last before it closes?

Yes, we are parked on the upper end, reason being saving our strength for the stroll into the city

Now the surface ain’t (as in was not…) sand, at least in the area we parked, but turf and grass, reinforced and pretty solid.
Also notice the nice embedded tie-down cables.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Could someone who speaks Italian please call the airport and ask them what procedure there is for either tarmac or the hangar?

They hang up the phone if they hear any other language and reply to emails very slowly, or not at all.

Thank you

Like Calvi, the sand goes everywhere. Elba 2018 and link to Calvi is there. The landing gear needs dismantling, cleaning and reassembly.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nobody did make a call but we sorted it One of the group spoke Italian.

Administrator

After all that, I am going to miss another EuroGA fly-in… plane AOG for a few days, again suspension gas shock related.

The day started at 5am with massive CTOTs due to French ATC “staff shortage”, so I replanned via Germany (could have never done that with just a phone), got a little 15 minute CTOT there soo, then went to the airport and found the problem on preflight.

Spent all day dismantling the thing, locating a hydraulic press, then when it came to refilling it with my new refill kit it turned out there wasn’t enough gas in the cylinders to reach the required 680 psi. They sell them as 1500 psi but it’s a con, and they seem to know it. I half suspected this might happen. In the end it was too late to borrow a proper nitrogen cylinder from a nearby maintenance company – 5pm Friday!

Last fly-in I missed was Sicily, 2 or 3 years ago. I got as far as Dubrovnik, just over the water, but there was a TS. Nowadays fly-ins are so hard to organise that it is a real shame to miss one.

I hope the others have a super time – some are in the pool already

£300 down the drain on the room too. But that happens in GA.

BTW the only way to be sure of not getting the crazy sand parking (which covers your plane and especially landing gear in sand, nicely buggering up retractables) is to buy hangar space, at €24/day. Some of us did that.

The airport communicates really terribly. 2 days to get a reply even if you wrote in Italian. One can sort of see why they are having financial problems!

Administrator

I might have missed it… any report of this Elba fly-in?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

We owe one! I’ll start by posting a pic from our group dinner fish feast!

As you can see, this time the average participant age was in the low forties, and even removing my kids the low-fifties…we are slowly improving on that stat!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Other than the above 10 people, attendance was four aircraft: a DA-40, a DA-52, an RV-12 and a P210.

So Diamond aircraft were the clear winner of the “airframer of the fly-in” title. However, contrary to what one could think, Lyco-Contisauruses tied with water-cooled engine newbies…prize to whoever spots how/why.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Dan wrote:

I might have missed it…

You did miss the fly-in, but don’t worry, the RV-gang was indeed represented

Antonio
LESB, Spain

DA-52

DA42

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

My mistake. Of course there is no way back to SEP after you try MEP!

Antonio
LESB, Spain
Sign in to add your message