Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Annual downtimes?

This made me think, but didn’t want to risk a thread drift there. I haven’t found a thread related to this.

What are your typical down times due to the annual inspection?

I’m asking because so far I’ve done my annuals myself and I was ok if it took maybe 6 weeks until it was back in the air. The reason was not the annual itself, but it was either extra work that I’ve combined with the annual, or, maybe the main reason for delays, it was typically due to ordering parts for work that I had not foreseen, and that I decided every time to do at once, because I hate to postpone this. And I did it all in the free time. And finally my examiner had to overlook some special tasks and we had to schedule this. So there were reasons for this. But I thought this to be a rather longish time span.

Now I’d be interested in your experiences. I’ve got no shop experience so far. How long does it normally take until you get your steed back? And what was your longest experience and why?

Germany

It takes a couple of days. Very occasionally, we have had to wait a few weeks when an unusual spare part was needed.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

2 to 3 days, everything pre-arranged and parts pre-ordered, no surprises in 9 years of DA42 and 5 years of TB20.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Usually do it over a period of 3 days or so, we fly down to our LAA inspector’s airfield (which has a really nice B&B almost on the airfield, so it’s a nice trip in of itself). Occasionally it has taken more if we’ve discovered something that needs parts ordered and there’s a delay.

Last Edited by alioth at 28 Jun 08:36
Andreas IOM

Normally a couple of weeks, generally because things that can be deferred but need a longer period of downtime wait until then.

Having said that, currently in a very protracted one as getting airframe parts is taking forever.

EGBP, United Kingdom

PA46 annual + 100h service was 2.5 weeks of which 1 week was waiting for a new battery to arrive

Finland

I’ll update when it’s complete. But last year the 6 month check took 5 months…
The joys of owning a twin Comanche

EGCJ, United Kingdom

PA46 annual. They always promise two weeks and it always takes three. Immutable law of aviation.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

The cynic in me says it’s harder to justify a £5k annual on a PA28 if you do it in less than a fortnight.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Annual and 100H etc. 5K annual (new to me and MRO aircraft on a Rallye 893 took was completed in 14 days, without any of the extras that I had requested. Normally it´s nominated to be 5 full working days. Time will tell if this is ever going to be the case.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message