Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elba LIRJ Fly-In 2023 - last before it closes?

Wow! You guys were way better at history than I ever was. It is nonetheless amazing what Napoleon managed to accomplish in Elba in a short time. Thanks!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

20th March 1815 to 22nd June 1815.
The things one remembers from school even when one can’t remember what day it is.🙃🙃

France

Great report Antonio, thanks for sharing.
One of my ancestors (who found himself on the wrong side of the revolution) was transfered by the brits to Elba a few years before Napoleon. It was the dumpster of Her Majesty

And Napoleon didn’t die in Elba as you must know. He came back, took power back in France, made a makeshift army and got destroyed in Waterloo in what we call the hundred days (les cent jours). Then he was sent as a repeat offender to the maximum security prison (lol) of St Helens Island (in the middle of the Atlantic.

LFOU, France

Why do you mention the 177?

For the same reason you state @Antonio
Flew the 177RG for a couple of hours, and that was the first Cessna I had pleasure flying… not all Cessnas are born equal

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Flysto shows it also nicely.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I realize the above pics may not explain the reason for the non-stabilized approach unless you are familiar with the place. As you overfly Procchio beach on the lower RH side of the pic at 1000ft coming from the right (N) , you cannot see the runway. You have to hug the Monte Castello hill on the RH turn and then you see the runway and turn LH to finals lining up at around 200ft. Our trajectory to RWY 18 is shown in the Google Earth (R) pic, so you can correlate with the above pics. Beware the marked pole you can see in the picture above.

Last Edited by Antonio at 21 Aug 22:56
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Dan wrote:

any Cessna with an IQ

IQ?? You made me laugh with that one!
We used to own and fly a 177RG for eight years all over and yes, it was an extremely capable little airplane! We flew it transatlantic without ferry tanks as well as to Spitzbergen and back with a couple of friends. Why do you mention the 177? It is not a widely known bird.

Dan wrote:

Looking forward to shake

U too! Perhaps at La Cerdanya!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

you guys are amazing! Really, I kid you not.

Thanks for that wonderful report @Antonio… and thanks for a confirmation that any Cessna with an IQ starting with 177 or higher is indeed a very capable machine
Looking forward to shake your (and others for sure) hand on a future Fly-in.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

dublinpilot wrote:

Looks like a wonderful trip! Thanks for writing it up!

Thanks! We like to hear Celtic flying stories too!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

aart wrote:

we do have a special attraction

You are setting expectations stratopherically high for that meet-up!

If we continue at this pace one of the key tick points for the unofficial and soon-to-be developed advanced PPL EuroGA license is going to be two EuroGA meet-up attendances. One attendance per year for currency or if currency lost then you need to organize the next meet-up for renewal ;)))

Antonio
LESB, Spain
79 Posts
Sign in to add your message