Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A trip to the Alps to get nice photos (and a video)

Scotland?

EGLM & EGTN

I’ve kind of done some of that, plus one can land there which makes it easy. As soon as Oban gets avgas we can have a meet-up there. I could do Oban and back nonstop (it is similar to Mt Blanc) but why? Also most won’t come if there is no fuel.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The route filed was an “I” flight plan

EGKA SFD/N0145F040 VFR DCT KUNAV DCT ABB/N0151F140 DCT BILGO/N0151F140 IFR B3 VATRI G40 ARSIL B13 SOMDA A6 DJL A1 LISMO VFR DCT MOBLO DCT LISMO IFR A1 DJL/N0151F090 A6 SOMDA B13 ARSIL G40 VATRI B3 BILGO H20 XORBI H40 NEBRU/N0150F120 H40 ABB VFR N20 KUNAV DCT WAFFU IFR EGKA

Peter, which alternate airports did you file?

It might make sense to put an alternate close to MOBLO (your “destination”), and then another alternate where you would have refuelled if you hadn’t had enough fuel to make it all the way?

By filing the alternates, the corresponding airports and the FIRs they are within should receive the FPL as well?

EDDW, Germany

CAVOK on TOT & ETA in METAR & TAF & Windy, do we need to file alternate under NCO?
But yes one can use alternates trick for FPL addressing

Curious how does the rules on fuel reserves & alternates change during planning on Z & Y FPL? or these are also treated as “IFR flight” for legal planning purpose (of course anyone should do this and even go beyond in conservative planning: add 2h fuel bonus & select 2 alternates all the time, but just curious on the legal aspects)

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Apr 14:30
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

which alternate airports did you file?

EGKB Biggin Hill.

By filing the alternates, the corresponding airports and the FIRs they are within should receive the FPL as well?

It’s an interesting idea. AFAIK a flight plan with any IFR part (I Z or Y) goes to Eurocontrol (IFPS, formerly known as CFMU) and they always distribute it to all relevant regions. Whether this distribution includes any VFR sections would be an excellent question… Any receiving region is also free to bin the FP – as e.g. London Control does if you file “not entirely in CAS” etc etc.

If No then Lille would not have got the initial part of the FP but France would have got the later part (BILGO etc). Maybe @Guillaume has any contacts?

And same for Switzerland because the LISMO-MOBLO-LISMO part was VFR (and I have just checked, LISMO is in France). But Switzerland was fine; I just told them the route and that was all done.

It would not surprise me if EuroFPL does not handle such a complex IFR – VFR – IFR – VFR – IFR route and identifies the VFR sections correctly. But as Guillaume points out, EuroFPL just sends French ones to their central address… and perhaps the same for Switzerland.

Another possibility is my late filing of the FP. It was filed maybe an hour before departure. On the Jungfrau flight, it was filed about 30 seconds before takeoff and I had a similar problem there. If France does manual processing, they may take some time, which may explain the Lille situation.

Curious how does the rules on fuel reserves & alternates change during planning on Z & Y FPL? or these are also treated as “IFR flight” for legal planning purpose (of course anyone should do this and even go beyond in conservative planning: add 2h fuel bonus & select 2 alternates all the time, but just curious on the legal aspects)

Good question

I wonder if @bookworm has any ideas.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

IFPS, formerly known as CFMU

The CFMU (Central Flow Management Unit) was the forerunner of the NMOC, a part of the Eurocontrol organisation responsible for capacity management in European airspace.

The IFPS (Integrated Initial Flight Plan Processing System) is a computer system that processes and distributes IFR flight plans. It has been called the IFPS from the beginning 30 or so years ago. Certainly the NMOC runs the IFPS.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I am looking for more ideas on which bits are worth a trip to

Max distance 900nm.

Administrator

If Scotland is out, then maybe the very northwest of Ireland. Very nice. A few good pics of that in the middle here. Do it low-level, like it did, 500 feet.

Otherwise, do all the German and Dutch North Sea Islands. Again, low level. Start at Texel and then continue northeastbound all the way to Sylt.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

I am looking for more ideas on which bits are worth a trip to

I liked the Spanish northern atlantic coast a lot. Doing it VFR you’ll stay at about 1000 ft, which is the height of the rough coastline, just like in the fotos boscomantico shared from Ireland. Then the coastline to a sudden “opens up” and the view is open to a city, or to a bay with a beautiful small and colorful village and maybe a beach, after which again you find yourself flying along the rough coastline for some minutes. If you keep flying you can climb again and enjoy the view to the Picos de Europa (however it is not allowed to fly over the central region of the Picos, as it is a natural reserve, but you can still get close enough and between mountains). So within minutes you can change to either fly along the coastline or over water, or in between quite high mountains.

However, might be just a bit too much of a distance to go AND return in a single flight. A fuel stop e.g. in Asturias LEAS could do the job.

Germany

Peter wrote:

Max distance 900nm.

Puts a damper on this one then…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message