Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A trip to the Alps to get nice photos (and a video)

For VFR from UK that lands in France, SkyDemon will add manual addresses before feeding to EuroFPL, that will to LeBourget BRIA (LFYNZPZX) & Lille ATSU (LFQQZTZX)

For VFR from UK without landing in France (e.g. low pass or circuits in Calais), SkyDemon adds Paris FIR (LFFFZFZX) before sending, one may need to add Calais (LFACZTZX) & Lille (LFQQZTZX) or just file two VFR flight plans

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Apr 11:01
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Guillaume wrote:

For France, EUROFPL sends the VFR to a single flight information emission office (BRIA/BTIV) where it is manually processed.
That would explain maybe why French ATC has sometimes my flight plan, but most of the times don’t. Swiss ATC also doesn’t have VFR flight plans right at hand, they need to search for it first. This counts actually for quite a few countries.
Switzerland

T28 wrote:

If you bust that area when it’s active (i.e H24 in summer) and your callsign isn’t Dragon 74 or REGA 15 or some other official acronym doing mountain rescue and you get caught, it is on you. And there’s a lot of peeping toms there reporting everything from wingsuits up…

Which area are you referring to? If it’s LF R30B then, that only seems to be active July/August (which I suppose you are equating to summer) and my reading of the AIP is that it only restricts gliders and ultralights. (In fact there seems to be a comma missing in the AIP, which leaves open the interpretation of it being only restricted to “ultralight gliders”, at least in the English version!).

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I have updated the video with some audio fixes (some bits were too quiet) and extra captions. I ought to have left in the bit where Lille pressed for a FL065 descent (on the way back) to prevent busting UK FL075 CAS; this is a “big change”. It is just hard for me to put audio back in after it was cut…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter what edit software are you using? It should be very easy to plonk it on another channel, wherever you want it

France

Vegas Pro v16. Yes, it is no problem. I have to find roughly the right spot and insert it there, bearing in mind the GPS subtitle stream, the video and the audio all have to be in sync, which makes inserting stuff in later a lot of work.

However there is an overriding consideration in video editing: I leave in ATC calls which I think other pilots will find useful or interesting. Lots of people really appreciate this. But I avoid including ATC stuff which just makes ATC look incompetent. Same with other pilots; I edited out a huge amount of other audio involving ATC talking to other aircraft – nearly all airline comms which are not relevant. Unless in my carefully considered opinion the ATC deserve it and sometimes they do, especially in obvious cases of not understanding a single word of conversational English, or this hilarious conversation. And me telling a guy that the UK CAS base is FL075, which it has been for many many years, while he (a controller for the immediately adjoining CAS) apparently thinks it is FL065, doesn’t make the controller look good. I think Lille were doing the right thing. Why it has taken perhaps 20-30 years I don’t know; maybe it is the new broom in the UK CAA [who threatens legal action if his name is posted, despite his name appearing on thousands of dirty letters to pilots] who decided to take his battle over to France. I will probably put in a caption about it…

Administrator

I don’t know Vegas but if it has multiple video and sound tracks making up the timeline, it should be a simple task to cut, delete and drop in bits of sound at will.
Being mainly non lip sync you don’t even have to be that accurate with the positioning.
Does the GPS subtitling stream have to run it’s full length? Can you not hide it and add it at will or is it recorded permanently in vision?

France

Can anyone think of other mountains worth doing, no further than the above ones?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Can anyone think of other mountains worth doing, no further than the above ones?

Perhaps the volcanoes of the Auvergne in France along with the Ardeche

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

That is the Massif Central. Yes – some amazing scenery there. Not so far, too.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message