Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New regulations that come into effect in 2023

Is it cast in stone that in 2023, the UK will no longer recognize EASA PPLs for flying G-regs?

The CAA validation of EASA PPL expires in 2023…there is a possibility to convert EASA to CAA before Jan23: CAA medical is required, lot of paperwork and 450£

After Jan23, to fly Part21 G-reg one need CAA PPL issued in accordance with FCL(UK), for now Part21 refer to aircraft like PA28 or any EASA aircraft type

For non-Part21 G-reg, one can fly these on any ICAO PPL (I think day VFR only?) and even including UK resident pilots

non-Part21 refer to aircraft like Cub, aka Annex1/2 vintage aircraft types or what one call non-EASA type

Part21 aircraft may different from EASA aircraft going forward and also there is a review of UK pilot licencing going on, so lot of things may change…historically, any G-reg < 5700kg can be flown privately on any ICAO PPL under VFR with a simple pilot declaration

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Nov 08:42
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

CAA medical is required, lot of paperwork and 450£

Is there a reference, particularly for the £450?

For non-Part21 G-reg, one can fly these on any ICAO PPL (I think day VFR only?) and even including UK resident pilots

Is that a 2023 change?

historically, any G-reg < 5700kg can be flown privately on any ICAO PPL under VFR with a simple pilot declaration

That ended c. 2012.

will an extension come in the end of December?

If there is one, it will be announced at 23:59 on 31 Dec 2022. That’s how aviation regulation relaxation is usually done. Maximum FUD.

so if you need any maintenance work done in a G-Reg while abroad

Do it off the books.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is there a reference, particularly for the £450?

Actually it’s more now as fees has gone up, anyway it’s

This,

Plus this,

Peter wrote:

Is that a 2023 change?

EASA PPL will be treated like any ICAO PPL after Jan23, the privilege of ICAO PPL in UK airspace is hard to navigate (Part21, G-reg, X-reg, visitors, residents, FAA holders, IFR, 28 days…), it’s worth checking directly with CAA on case by case for declaration, validation and conversion, I expect this will indirectly benefit from the upcoming ‘pilot licensing review in 2023’

CAP2335

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Nov 09:37

The above is all UK stuff. Brussels implemented its reciprocal measures immediately, on 1/1/2021, while the UK delayed theirs by 2 years, so this is the 2 year delay, roughly. Unifying the various licenses (which go back decades) would be a great idea but I would not bank on it anytime soon.

What about EASA regulatory changes other than UK-oriented ones?

Administrator

EASA-wise, nothing I guess. Airlaw changes don‘t usually coincide with year changes.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

This come up from CAA, could be effective Jan23 with a regulation instead of rolling exemption

https://consultations.caa.co.uk/airworthiness-policy-team/amc-uk-reg-1321-2014-easa-form-1/

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Nov 15:08

Above:

The CAA proposes to continue its existing policy to recognise certain EASA Form 1s as equivalent to CAA Form 1s in certain limited circumstances.
To date, this policy has been given effect via exemptions issued by the CAA (exemptions ORS4 No. 1538, 1539 and 1552 published here).
The objective of the proposal is to clarify that those parts issued with EASA Form 1s pursuant to the effect of the exemptions referred to above, that remain in the supply chain and have not yet been fitted to UK registered aircraft, may lawfully be fitted in the normal way from 1 January 2023 onwards.

PDF local copy

This measure is not surprising otherwise aircraft part stocks sitting on shelves would have become almost worthless.

Quite what EASA will do to protect all the stockists in EASA-land, I wonder

Administrator

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

thought I’d ask if anyone knows of any new regulations that we need to be aware of for 2023, either across EU or other countries

Hmm, Croatia enters Schengen on January 1, 2023, as far as I understood. That’s one topic less to take care of.

Germany

UdoR wrote:

Hmm, Croatia enters Schengen on January 1, 2023, as far as I understood.

Still not 100% sure because of Austrians have some objections.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Still not 100% sure because of Austrians have some objections.

The foreign minister’s party is tied up in plenty of scandals here currently, with most members of recent governments under criminal investigation for bribery and perjury. So some „cheap“ headlines of blocking the schengen expansion and asylum seekers „because the people living at the border are terribly inconvenienced“ are a welcome opportunity to deflect some attention.
They’d never dare this BS during the sommer months, when vacationers are stuck in hour long traffic jams at the Croatian border.

It’s ridiculous as actually the best thing that could happen to them would be open borders from the equator onwards and millions of refugees. Indeed they won the last couple of national votes by instilling fear of refugees and promising to close the balkan route, whatever that means.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 21 Nov 23:37
always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message