Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New regulations that come into effect in 2023

Since we’re winding down 2022, thought I’d ask if anyone knows of any new regulations that we need to be aware of for 2023, either across EU or other countries.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

All EASA countries, fuel management, see NCO.OP.185 In-flight fuel/energy management EASA

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Well, its not new news, but a pretty big one is that you will not be allowed to fly a G reg aeroplane on an EASA license in 2023…

…Of course the second Brexit happened the EU refused to let British license holders fly EASA reg aeroplanes and hours flown in G-Reg aeroplanes do not count towards EASA licenses either, I have recently discovered.

Regards, SD..

hours flown in G-Reg aeroplanes do not count towards EASA licenses either

Really? in say PA28 G-reg? that sounds like some funky ACB rule?
My hours in G-reg seems to count (also hours in N-reg count as well)

Annex1 don’t count depending on who you ask

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Nov 14:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Assuming it comes into force when planned, biometrics and a European ESTA to enter the EU (posted here)

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

skydriller wrote:

hours flown in G-Reg aeroplanes do not count towards EASA licenses either, I have recently discovered.

How do I understand that? What don’t they count towards? Ratings or licenses? Recurrency?

It’s been a while since I’ve flown non-easa airplanes but I recall that when I had to do my recurrency (12 hours/last 12 months) they did accept hours flown on Bulgarian planes without a thought.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Rating/License issue – I know of a couple of students here in France affected.
I don’t know about Recurrency.

For non-ATO hours, CAA & DGAC would accept them with no issues

ATO hours (PPL, IR, CPL…), I suspect there are few rabbit holes now:

• EASA student can’t solo G-reg during his PPL in France (unless it’s CAA ATO & CAA unrestricted FI and CAA medical)
  • EASA PPL holder can’t fly G-reg in France (EASA pilot licence was only valid in G-reg in UK airspace until 2023)
  • EASA FI/FE can’t instruct for both EASA ratings and CAA ratings in G-reg in France (EASA instructor & examiner licence was only valid by CAA in G-reg in UK airspace until 2023)
  • EASA ATO need lot of approvals to operate G-reg the same as they do for N-reg, unless it’s owner or special type (the difference is N-reg can be flown on DGAC licence in France)

CAA complain about this now even for non-ATO hours (they now reject 1h SEP by non-UK FE, previously they accepted 1h SEP “like the flight was done in UK airspace by UK examiners”)

“If you are revalidating your SEP by experience and are flying in a European Member State, please note that a Certificate of Revalidation held on a licence issued by the UK cannot be signed by a non-UK EASA examiner.”

https://www.caa.co.uk/general-aviation/pilot-licences/part-fcl-requirements/ratings/single-engine-piston-rating-for-aeroplanes/

It’s a big mess with no light at the end of the tunnel, plus you also have EU residency rules on operators based in France since June 2022 !

PS: I did my CAA SEP in Essex last month with CAA FE

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Nov 21:53
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The big one for me is that EASA mechanics will no longer be recognised by the UK CAA, so if you need any maintenance work done in a G-Reg while abroad….

I read somewhere that the CAA might permit an EASA engineer to work on your aircraft, provided this was done under the remote supervision of a UK engineer (e.g. your own normal home based maintenance shop), who would then need to check and sign off any work on your return. Not sure how this is requested/arranged, and if the UK CAA have to be involved on a case-by-case basis.

Equally, UK maintenance shops need to apply to retain EASA privileges to work on EASA registered aircraft.

Some will have done so, but this could make life difficult if you end up with a tech issue somewhere on a trip.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Is it cast in stone that in 2023, the UK will no longer recognize EASA PPLs for flying G-regs?

Or will an extension come in the end of December?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message