Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the best Traffic Avoidance system for light GA in Europe today ?

@dejwu

Do you know whether the utilized Flarm code supports the latest version of the Flarm protocol?

Are aircraft with different Flarm versions (say, latest and previous) able to detect each other?

Does the Flarm reception of the Stratux work well, and how did you test it?

(I’ve built one but haven’t tried it out.)

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

Zorg wrote:

Do you know whether the utilized Flarm code supports the latest version of the Flarm protocol?
Are aircraft with different Flarm versions (say, latest and previous) able to detect each other?
Does the Flarm reception of the Stratux work well, and how did you test it?
(I’ve built one but haven’t tried it out.)

The StratuxFLARM uses the latest OGN decoding for the FLARM protocol.
The OGN decoding works well for detection of all versions, it is mean to do that to enable their ground stations.
The OGN ground stations usually have a long lifetime without updates ;-).
The StratuxFLARM is receiver only, so no FLARM-out!
The FLARM reception of Stratux works fine exactly as the one from PowerFLARM.
We did some side-by-side comparison of PowerFLARM and StratuxFLARM and found no noticeable difference for the receiving of signals.

It is nice to evaluate your benefits of FLARM for your mission profile with such an affordable device before spending a lot of money on a full device …

Last Edited by at 29 Jan 10:24

@dejwu

Very interesting, thanks.

In your mind, is there a reason at all to switch to the commercial solution (for traffic reception)?

Have you looked at the SoftRF project, which can also transmit Flarm and others and integrates with Stratux (see my separate thread)?

Do you have experience with band-pass filters (such as offered by the RTL-SDR project), which aim to improve ADS-B and Flarm reception?

P. s.: By the way, I have rebased PepperJo’s branch to the latest version of the cyoung trunk. If that’s of interest, I can share the code (although it wasn’t that much work tbh).

Last Edited by Zorg at 29 Jan 10:37
LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

From here

Peter wrote:

Certified ADS-B OUT GA installations are rare.

Which is actually a bit strange since there’s nothing exotic about it. You need an SBAS GPS box and a reasonably modern mode S transponder.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Certified ADS-B OUT GA installations are rare.

And that is why an ADSB-out transponder is the best safety investment you can make at this time. If there is money left, then go for a SE2 or such.

EBST, Belgium

AIUI TCAS is mandatory in all aircraft above 5.7 tonnes or capable of carrying more than 19 passengers and has been for some time.
TCAS picks up signals from both Mode C and Mode S (just like a ground SSR station does.)
It then calculates distance, bearing, barometric pressure altitude and compared this information with that coming from your own transponder. Then from that it gives both an aural and visual advisory on avoiding action to take. So that two aircraft with TCAS systems on a collision course are not given the same avoiding action the two TCAS devices decide between them which of the aircraft should take he avoiding action.
For a country like France where all IFR needs to be mode S and most club aircraft are equipped with mode C there are some downsides to TCAS.
The largest of these is the cost. The minimum one should expect to pay AIUI is €25000 euros.
Secondly, VFR aircraft, equipped with mode C but not with TCAS might well see the other aircraft and in trying to avoid it might take the same avoiding action as the TCAS fitted aircraft has been advised to do, resulting in a collision.
Thirdly most gliders, here, are fitted with FLARM and TCAS does not pick up Flarm.
Am I right so far? And if I am my question would be “are any of the new systems capable of doing better, at lower cost, and without making the equipment mandatory to all aircraft including gliders, ULMs, hot air balloons etc.” ?
Eg would a full scale move to ADSB be any better or cheaper than TCAS 3? And could the cost of TCAS 3 be brought down significantly either through technological improvements or through scale?
I see this equipment, for the moment paralleling that of video. For consumers we had VHS, betamax, and Phillips Grundig systems. For the professionals we had 2in tape, 1 inch tape, Betacam, D3 and D5 to name but a few. And then across the world there were different systems NTSC, SECAM, PAL to name 3 of the biggest. It took digital systems and coding algorithms to get back to somewhere like the flexibility you had with film.

France

@gallois post(s) moved to existing thread

The minimum one should expect to pay AIUI is €25000 euros.

Should be a lot less. That price is the old KTA870 Honeywell system. Ones like the TAS605 and the Lynx should be under 15k.

So that two aircraft with TCAS systems on a collision course are not given the same avoiding action the two TCAS devices decide between them which of the aircraft should take he avoiding action.

That is TCAS 2 – not a product for light GA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Ones like the TAS605 and the Lynx should be under 15k.

Lynx active traffic was 10K

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

Lynx active traffic was 10K

I paid less than 7K for it 3 years ago and as the plane was on G-reg benefited from a 2.5K return form the UK government on the implementation of ADSB…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Peter wrote:

The minimum one should expect to pay AIUI is €25000 euros.

Should be a lot less. That price is the old KTA870 Honeywell system. Ones like the TAS605 and the Lynx should be under 15k.

These are TAS (Traffic Advisory System or Traffic Awareness System) not TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System).

ELLX
Sign in to add your message