Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the best Traffic Avoidance system for light GA in Europe today ?

I can confirm that the SkyEcho works well – much as I am a fan of SkyDemon I wish the various devices would work on all platforms. Why must I have a Garmin device to work with Garmin Pilot and yet another one to work with SkyDemon and …….

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Stratux works with SD but you have to change some IP addresses and some minor settings. It is not plug and play. The procedure is described on other forums.

LFOU, France

This market is moving so quickly that the answer to the question of the best unit on the market is likely to be…………. the next unit to reach the market.

Is there anything new in the active TAS market? There is only the L3 that I know of. And installer experience (and user experience / reports) of that product seems to be running at close to zero.

At the low cost / uncertified end, sure, there is a new box coming out every few weeks, it seems But these can’t see transponders in any useful way, and as far as anyone knows aren’t visible to certified ADS-B IN products.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Stratux outputs GDL90 which works with SkyDemon, however I don’t know if it supports FLARM. It’s also on another frequency so unless they have an extremely wide-band radio, you need two receivers. Also, FLARM licenses need to be updated every year in every FLARM-supporting device.

Stratux works well together with Skydemon since they started supporting GDL90. Stratux FLARM support started quite early for US ForeFlight users occasionally flying to Europe, but only got some pace in Europe when Skydemon started to support it. Stratux has a public available current v1.4R5 built from PepperJo based on the cyoung distribution with the ability to switch the, in Europe useless, UAT SDR to receiving FLARM (StratuxFlarm: https://github.com/PepperJo/stratux/releases/download/v1.4r5-flarm2/stratux-v1.4r5-flarm-588304c8f5.img.zip) and you can use it plug&play. Mandatory FLARM licensing only applies to registered FLARM output devices, as they keep track of the FLARM ID by that. Stratux only receives Mode-S, Mode C/A (no display on maps as there is no position), ADS-B and FLARM instead of UAT with above built. If you decide to built a Stratux, do not forget to order the AHRS board as the included baro input is mandatory for FLARM traffic.

Last Edited by at 01 Jan 09:38

dejwu wrote:

with the ability to switch the, in Europe useless,

???

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

@Coda: The original two-SDR Stratux was designed for the US market. It uses one SDR for receiving the worldwide used ADS-B 1090 MHz XPDR streams and the second for receiving 978 MHz UAT ADS-B. Major advantage of 978 MHz UAT is providing advanced traffic and weather uploads from ground stations. 978 MHz UAT is not used in Europe and there are only very few ground stations in experimental status (actually I am aware of only one in the UK). So, explanation, there is no use for the second SDR, 978 UAT receiver, in Europe and as it is a SoftwareDefinedRadio, the linked built for Stratux provides a switch to tune the second SDR to receiving 868 MHz FLARM streams.

Last Edited by at 01 Jan 10:31

@peter wrote:

Is there anything new in the active TAS market? There is only the L3 that I know of. And installer experience (and user experience / reports) of that product seems to be running at close to zero.

I will install the Lynx 9000+ this month, so I after a while of use I will post my report about it.

EDDS , Germany

@dejwu – Thanks for the clarification.

Last Edited by Coda at 01 Jan 10:36
LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

Today I got my Bonanza back with the Lynx 9000+ installed. First look on it was good, some trafic in the pattern during departure was displayed and while approching my destination I also got the signals displayed on the Lynx, the GTN 750 and the Aspen.
Installation time was one week, so it fitted exactly in the time slot, where I have been in the aera off the airport for work. No additional grounding time and a beautiful night flight home.

EDDS , Germany
Sign in to add your message