Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the best Traffic Avoidance system for light GA in Europe today ?

TAS = TCAS1, I think.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

Secondly, VFR aircraft, equipped with mode C but not with TCAS might well see the other aircraft and in trying to avoid it might take the same avoiding action as the TCAS fitted aircraft has been advised to do, resulting in a collision.

Not such a big issue: Both to the right is good enough for most small and slow GA traffic. The core design idea of TCAS-2 as used in heavy metal is that planes are so fast and so inert that lateral avoidance is to slow and therefore you need to avoid vertically – under that assumption coordination is required as there is no “natural” rule who climbs and who descends.

gallois wrote:

I see this equipment, for the moment paralleling that of video. For consumers we had VHS, betamax, and Phillips Grundig systems.

The difference is: In terms of traffic recognition systems there has always been an established standard (TRX, TCAS-1/2, ADS-B) but some people created a mess because thy thought that they can safe a dime. If we would just ban FLARM and devices with ADSB-in w/o ADSB-out (i.e. free riding parasites on the adsb-system) we would be much better off.

Ceterum censeo: All collision avoidance system in light GA are to a large extend peace of mind only devices as midairs happen almost exclusively in the traffic pattern where such systems are not really effective to avoid them. Many pilots actually using such system fall in the “traffic cinema trap” of being overwhelmed by “the many dots that show up there” without realizing that 99,999% of these dots on their traffic display are completely irrelevant for the safety of their flight.

Germany

as midairs happen almost exclusively in the traffic pattern where such systems are not really effective to avoid them

I used to think that, until I got one, and I reckon it is brilliant in the circuit. Would be even better if the UK CAA did not induce so many into turning off their transponders…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Is there anything new in the active TAS market? There is only the L3 that I know of. And installer experience (and user experience / reports) of that product seems to be running at close to zero.

It’s a different market, but the Lynx/L3 unit seems to be a favourite with the Avidyne crowd in the USA. There are quite a few reports of the Lynx installed along with Avidyne IFD’s. It has been getting high marks for the user interface and screen presentation in general. Lot’s of config options, including diversity and remote installation for those interested in that or with limited panel space.

LSZK, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Certified ADS-B OUT GA installations are rare.

Really? I just took a Flightradar24 snapshot of Switzerland and S. Germany with a filter of everything <18’000, and got this:

Surprising level of traffic, considering the weather. Ignoring the jets and clicking only on the single-engine types, GA twins, and helis, a random selection came up about 50:50 ADS-B/FLARM across all those types. I would be very surprised if the aircraft showing as ADS-B were not all certified installations.

Last Edited by chflyer at 08 Jun 11:37
LSZK, Switzerland
Certified ADS-B OUT GA installations are rare.

Without scientific proof around Germany I would say things changed quite a bit in the last 2-3 years. ADS-B out used to be limited to brand new Cirrus but now more and more GA owners seems to upgrade. Still a long way to go but a significant change.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

In Ireland I’ve noticed a few GA aircraft with ADS-B in the last year, while three years ago there were none. Still very much a minority but surprising that there are any at all given that there is little incentive and the vast majority of our GA traffic is VFR.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Remember that these countries (Germany, Switzerland, Austria) are going to have by far the highest level of spending in the GA sphere

So much depends on where you live and fly.

Do you know how many planes showed up enroute on my TAS/TCAS1 on this trip ?

1 (one) and it was an airliner about 10nm away, 2000ft or so below.

And then I get back to Lydd and then the short flight to Shoreham, and both produce a lot of contacts. There was traffic going into Mali Losinj (mostly Germany and Austria) but clearly none of it had transponders running (including one D-reg aircraft which was mentioned by ATC in the video I did and for which I laboriously edited out the callsign and type) which to me is a total puzzle, as to why one would do that in what must be one of the most ATC-friendly airspaces in the world

Administrator

I was going to fit the Trig ADS-B Out feeding the Trig Mode S transponder, but have postponed it now the CAA grant is available until September. I’m hoping something might appear with ADS-B In before then.
I’m probably alive thanks to giving an early call when descending towards Grand Junction in a C172. An agitated voice asked if I was visual with traffic. A Pa28 was also descending, Mode A, and we merged radar blips. He was 200’ above me when we were told, and took action. Change in voice when ATC said “Blips separated”.
I never got visual. High sun, excellent visibility, calm air. Just in blind spots.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

I was going to fit the Trig ADS-B Out feeding the Trig Mode S transponder, but have postponed it now the CAA grant is available until September. I’m hoping something might appear with ADS-B In before then.

GTX 345?

EGTR
Sign in to add your message