Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Misc. electronic conspicuity boxes: Garrecht / Air Avionics / TRX-1500A / Air Connect / PAW / PilotAware / LXnav / PowerMouse / FlarmMouse / Flarm / Uavionix / SkyEcho / SafeSky

In some places there is a requirement to have ADS-B OUT for training aircraft

Where is that (in Europe)?

It’s a shame that there is no certified solution for the weather-IN

There is no weather broadcast in Europe. Various people have looked into it over the years. Your best bet is a Golze ADL unit. I have the ADL150.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Where is that (in Europe)?

UK.

EGTR

Not heard of any ADS-B mandate.

no trace on internet,

That is probably seen as a good thing – lots of people don’t like their flying to be seen by everybody.

Administrator

I mean ADSB-out is into the field of certified avionics and seen by another source of a lot of profit by the brands, garmin leading and keeping the price high. But we don’t really need an interface who’s broadcasting at 25NM. The fact that it is nicely presented and integrated is eye-candy, but we just need to broadcast and receive positions, and flarm is simple enough and has made its proof of concept in the glider field these last 2 years (not a single mid-air between gliders in France).

Last Edited by greg_mp at 01 Mar 09:58
LFMD, France

arj1 wrote:

It’s a shame that there is no certified solution for the weather-IN

Just out of professional curiosity, what kind of features are you looking for with would only be available as a certified solution? Just to have it installed permanently or anything beyond that?

Also in the context of datalink weather systems “certified” is a complex term. You can have a TSO certified hardware like a Garmin GSR56. Then there are minor change approval based installations like the ADL190. Finally you have fully portable things like an ADL180B or an Iridium GO device. But with all of them, even the GSR56 as far as I know, the actual weather product is never “certified”. You just certify the hardware but the weather displayed is for situational awareness only.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

Just out of professional curiosity, what kind of features are you looking for with would only be available as a certified solution? Just to have it installed permanently or anything beyond that?

Also in the context of datalink weather systems “certified” is a complex term. You can have a TSO certified hardware like a Garmin GSR56. Then there are minor change approval based installations like the ADL190. Finally you have fully portable things like an ADL180B or an Iridium GO device. But with all of them, even the GSR56 as far as I know, the actual weather product is never “certified”. You just certify the hardware but the weather displayed is for situational awareness only.

Hi Sebastian, I meant FIS-B in Europe, to be displayed on integrated avionics. For example, to watch FIS-B weather on GTN-750 or G1000.
I know of GSR & and of course I know of ADL. :)

EGTR

Strangely enough I am happy with the ADL150 displaying on my Samsungs (phone and tablet) and on my Ipad Mini, tafs, metars and radar maps etc, and have never felt the need to show the stuff on panel mounted avionics.

Maybe because traffic can be depicted with minimal symbology so it doesn’t obscure EHSI or PFD data. But wx needs lots of screen surface, needs to rotate with the map mode, and tafs/metars need a hi-res screen and you need to be able to read it from the normal sitting position.

Jets display radar images on their PFDs but they have continuous updates, obviously, which rotate with the heading or track. You can’t do that with wx uplinks.

I spent some time experimenting with satellite wx data (Thuraya) about 15 years ago and got quite close to displaying tafs/metars but in the end it was too messy. Details here and here. On a large PFD you could do it much better, but the interfaces tend to be proprietary so you can’t get in. The above-linked KMD550 tests were done by rendering the taf/metar text via NTSC video.

Administrator

I tried Safesky and like it a lot. For those planes that I fly which have no traffic awareness systems, Safesky works really well. I have the (harmlessly inexpensive) premium version which pushes the traffic to my navigation app while Safesky runs in the background.

Additionally Safesky records a useful tracklog which can be exported.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 01 Mar 12:10
always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

It’s not totally trivial. To do ADS-B OUT with a TXP you need a SBAS GPS somewhere

We´ve discussed this before. You don´t need an “SBAS” GPS installation anywhere to get ADS-B OUT, eg. on a Trig TT31 mode S transponder.
You also don´t need an “SBAS” capable GPS installation to meet certified (sil=1) ADS-B OUT, you just need a certified GPS source, no need for “SBAS” capable GPS (in EASA).
Any GPS source (including uncertified, like the Trig TA50) that can connect to the transponder will do. You will be transmitting ADS-B OUT (sil=0) only, but lots of airplanes will “see” you.

Snoopy wrote:

Snoopy01-Mar-24 12:0836
I tried Safesky and like it a lot. For those planes that I fly which have no traffic awareness systems, Safesky works really well. I have the (harmlessly inexpensive) premium version which pushes the traffic to my navigation app while Safesky runs in the background.

Absolutely. It´s an impressive piece of software. I wish everybody and his dog would realize this when they go flying small airplanes (with out without the dog!).
Does it have limitations. Yes it does. Most of our avionics installation has limitations. Live with it.

Last Edited by Yeager at 01 Mar 14:21
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

This post by @wigglyamp states that SIL=1 will show up on a TCAS1. I would assume he means the Avidyne TAS6xx and the Garmin systems, but maybe he can clarify.

What staggers me is the lack of feedback from the many people who fly with TCAS1 systems.

But what about SIL=1 out of a Skyecho? This appears to confirm the above; it is a special config on the Skyecho, which allegedly is not legal outside the UK but the UK CAA allows it.

My mistake was recollecting that SIL=2 was needed and that the “Skyecho hack” was for SIL=2.

What other “portable” EC products radiate SIL=1?

The Trig TT31 mode S unit will need an antenna like discussed above (or whatever is feeding it). I also don’t like the code selection; the buttons on the Garmins are much better.

BTW, this post by @ncyankee states that SIL=3 is required for “conforming ADS-B OUT” in the US. This does not affect Europe presently but it is worth noting.

Re “limitations”, it’s not a case of living with it, when the question being asked is why don’t more people install it They don’t install it because (probable main reason) they will see only a small % of traffic. And a TCAS1 system costs too much. I also would not install anything not visible on a TCAS1 system (whether it has ADS-B IN or not) because those planes do a lot of hours across Europe.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message