Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Misc. electronic conspicuity boxes: Garrecht / Air Avionics / TRX-1500A / Air Connect / PAW / PilotAware / LXnav / PowerMouse / FlarmMouse / Flarm / Uavionix / SkyEcho / SafeSky

Put aside the “in” part – why not out? ADS-B out from a company like Trig, which is what I use, is very cheap. If you already have the transponder, it’s even easier.

Even the Skyecho2 supports SIL=1

https://uavionix.com/products/skyecho/

No system is perfect, but it sure seems like the ADS-B solution is a good one, cheap, and compared to the cost of a mid-air, excellent value.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Yeager wrote:

Which part is it that you don´t agree with @Vref?

will mostly be users also having TCAS,

We see a huge gap btw the cost of installing a certified TAS system and non certified ADS-B . I am not sure I would put my money into a lynx system, knowing L3 this sole box may end up were the WX500 is currently….I am sure Garmin/Avydyne would be able to develop a more affordable unit (TAS processor with antennae) that can be integrated into the current ES equipped xpdrs….

Last Edited by Vref at 28 Feb 10:17
EBST

Vref wrote:

I am sure Garmin/Avydyne would be able to develop a more affordable unit (TAS processor with antennae) that can be integrated into the current ES equipped xpdrs….

They’ve already did! But it is not more affordable… And not sure if they will ever drop the price.

EGTR

Peter wrote:

You don’t “filter out” SIL0/1. It just doesn’t show. Not sure about 1 or 2… @NCyankee posted on this recently.

Ok, got it thx., same end result either way though, it´s a choice – you either “see it” or “don´t see it” on as ADS-B traffic.
I don´t think anyone choses NOT to display sil=1 which is certified (or should be legally) ADS-B out transmission.

Peter wrote:

Another factor is that most people don’t want bits of velcro-attached stuff in their plane.

I totally agree on that one, cables and equipment scattered all over the cockpit is crap. Ideally all equipment was installed in the “avionics bay” and displayed appropriately, but sometimes the cost/benefit is just prohibitive, and the alternative are better than nothing. Sky Echo 2 (charged from home), can be placed in various locations and doesn´t disturb you – as an example (I know, you know).

Peter wrote:

And there is no legal way to merge certified ADS-B with uncertified ADS-B although I will implement such a thing when I finally get the TAS605A (when Avidyne can do an exchange unit; currently everything has to go back to the US).

I also, don´t understand what you mean by that @Peter?
Are you saying that certified ADS-B IN receivers and traffic display units does NOT allow (“merge” you say) displaying BOTH sil=0 and sil=1,2,3 transmitters?
Again, either way, I would again claim that most operators that have certified ADS-IN will also have TCAS installations, and will predominantly operate in controlled airspaces anyways, without the same “need” to “see” ADS-B sil=0 traffic.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Peter wrote:

Non panel mounted, etc. Not displaying on PFDs on which you would see TXP data.

All the devices mentioned in the posts I referred to are panel mounted. (Or remotely mounted but still permanently installed.) Indeed, my club has a certified aircraft where one of these devices (factory installed AT-1) feeds a PFD (factory installed G3X).

So can we please lay to rest the claim that this is illegal? (It may not be approved under a TSO, but that’s a very different thing.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

So can we please lay to rest the claim that this is illegal?

Where was that posted?

All the devices mentioned in the posts I referred to are panel mounted

How can I display SIL=0/1 ADS-B data on this panel (or any other certified panel)?

(The G496 has been replaced by an Aera660 – as posted here – and maybe that can display traffic data, but it would probably be useless because it is set to display other stuff)

Are you saying that certified ADS-B IN receivers and traffic display units does NOT allow (“merge” you say) displaying BOTH sil=0 and sil=1,2,3 transmitters?

Yes. Unless it it one of the ones like Dynon (non TSO boxes certified via the mfg TC) but AFAIK Jepp won’t license their data to any of them, so no LPV, etc.

We see a huge gap btw the cost of installing a certified TAS system and non certified ADS-B

That is what we are stuck with: the ICAO-based quid pro quo allowing international flight.

I am sure Garmin/Avydyne would be able to develop a more affordable unit (TAS processor with antennae) that can be integrated into the current ES equipped xpdrs

Nobody wants to bomb a nice market.

I would again claim that most operators that have certified ADS-IN will also have TCAS installations

Not at all sure about that.

and will predominantly operate in controlled airspaces anyways, without the same “need” to “see” ADS-B sil=0 traffic.

No, because the greatest value of “TCAS” is OCAS, and especially in the terminal area. High traffic density, lots of people not reporting their position correctly, etc. I wish people did use their TXP there, even if they turn it off when enroute (due to the crazy UK CAA pilot busting policy).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Where was that posted?

Maybe I misunderstood what “no legal way” means.

How can I display SIL=0/1 ADS-B data on this panel (or any other certified panel)?

I guess you use of of the ADS-B in receivers that don’t filter based on SIL! Three of them were mentioned in the posts I linked to.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 28 Feb 15:15
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Yes. Unless it it one of the ones like Dynon (non TSO boxes certified via the mfg TC) but AFAIK Jepp won’t license their data to any of them, so no LPV, etc.

Well, with that limitation (no ADS-B sil=0), it´s just another reason to consider “non panel mounted” devices (displaying unlimited ADS-B traffic).
I´ve got great interest in seeing as much traffic as possible, including or especially low flying uncertified ADS-B (sil=0), and to a lesser degree Flarm, and huge interest in seeing pocket held SafeSky transmissions by paragliders, drones etc. when I´m low level VFR flying on casual- and short X-country flights.
Unrestricted display of traffic on my navigation display – yes, SkyDemon iPad that is! ;-)

Considerations related to cost/benefit are different (as always) – depends on the primary, and secondary, missions. If I was flying high altitude IFR/IMC x-country in a 150K+ aircraft, a 10K+ avionics upgrade for “visibility” would be sensible. Horses for courses.

Peter wrote:

Not at all sure about that.

Nor am I – It´s my assumption.

Last Edited by Yeager at 29 Feb 04:28
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

gallois wrote:

In the circuit or areas close to the airfield, especially those without an ATS many now a turning to SafeSky. Why? Because you can get it free and works very well in such areas where traffic congestion is likely to be high.

Really free? I got an unrequested time-limited free trial with EVFR last year, but after that expired I would have needed to buy a service. I do agree that its prime market is low-level since mobile coverage rarely goes over 5000’.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

Really free? I got an unrequested time-limited free trial with EVFR last year, but after that expired I would have needed to buy a service. I do agree that its prime market is low-level since mobile coverage rarely goes over 5000’.

It´s totally free with respect to “be seen”, the transmitting part, of SafeSky.
If you want to be able to use certain functionality of the “see”, the receiving part, there is some like a 35 euro cost. I think this is for display on eg. SkyDemon.
If you´re only looking to use SafeSky application, without integrating into other navigation/traffic display, it´s free. Yes.
I´m guessing that you´re requested to “buy a service” (SafeSky subscription), because you´re using it via EVFR – as mentioned if you´re using SafeSky application standalone – it´s free.

Last Edited by Yeager at 29 Feb 08:16
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
Sign in to add your message