Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Misc. electronic conspicuity boxes: Garrecht / Air Avionics / TRX-1500A / Air Connect / PAW / PilotAware / LXnav / PowerMouse / FlarmMouse / Flarm / Uavionix / SkyEcho / SafeSky

vic wrote:

In that case all you need is the TRIG TN 72 GPS receiver feeding the transponder for certified OUT, at € 530.- . For having traffic alerts you get any app you like on the tablet etc. with ADS-B IN by WIFI like the PAW Rosetta does – no extra wires in the cockpit. So for renters this would be a case to have the owner install an s-tx plus the TN 72 for certified OUT , useful for TCAS as well.

You nailed it, Vic. This is exactly what I would like to see.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland
That is why I believe the “non-certified” receivers that see ALL ADS-B traffic are most useful with our flying and that is why TCAS does not help in most GA airspace, apart from the money to get this – which will never happen in most of GA, ultralights included. So when mobile systems are the matter, no ADS-B OUT will be suitable for TCAS or ATC , not the power available from mobile devices – unless you got a S-transponder plus powerpack like in gliders possibly ? In that case all you need is the TRIG TN 72 GPS receiver feeding the transponder for certified OUT, at € 530.- . For having traffic alerts you get any app you like on the tablet etc. with ADS-B IN by WIFI like the PAW Rosetta does – no extra wires in the cockpit. So for renters this would be a case to have the owner install an s-tx plus the TN 72 for certified OUT , useful for TCAS as well. And for having mobile traffic alerts you take the Rosetta and your ipad or tablet and see ALL traffic on them. Vic
vic
EDME

Any portable device could care less what SIL is. Only TSO installed ADS-B displays require that the target be non zero.

KUZA, United States

Peter 03-Mar-24 07:19 55

It should be radiating pressure altitude only (FL – same as your Mode C box) so not much use to you unless you can set the QNH

Yes, correct. I’m after an application that would allow for using the SkyEcho baro/pressure altitude, with an in-app possibility/option to set QNH, to function as a back up pressure altimeter source.

Last Edited by Yeager at 03 Mar 07:24
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

It should be radiating pressure altitude only (FL – same as your Mode C box) so not much use to you unless you can set the QNH.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The SkyEcho 2 unit has a built in Barometer. Is there any way to extract and display this information, such as an mobile application? If possible this data could be used as a non certified “backup” altimeter (of course on non pressurised cabins).
Of course the multiple sources of GPS altitude would suffice as back up.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Peter wrote:

The bottom line is that the more gadgets you buy, the more you will see, and in the end your cockpit will be full of velcro and cables, and your tablet will have a load of apps running, and you still won’t see a lot of traffic… maybe 50-75%.

For receiving (“see”) ADS-B IN (including sil=0 traffic – which I personally find important and very relevant to my VFR flying!), Flarm IN, and SafeSky (with lots of other stuff displayed) traffic displayed on SkyDemon on my iPad mini, which is panel mounted below the glareshield, I need at total of 1 device mounted by suction cup (SkyEcho 2) and that´s behind me in the cockpit anyways, and zero cables.
Having EASA certified ADS-B out (sil=1) and mode S, via the transponder, to be “be seen”. Zero cockpit cables or Velcro.
I don´t “see” mode C and mode S traffic – but I will transmit both. I wish I did “see” this traffic – but that´s the price of the “cheap” installations.

We don´t have to make it worse that it actually is. True be it – the SkyEcho and iPad has to be charged from time to time.

Last Edited by Yeager at 02 Mar 19:19
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Peter wrote:

The bottom line is that the more gadgets you buy, the more you will see, and in the end your cockpit will be full of velcro and cables, and your tablet will have a load of apps running, and you still won’t see a lot of traffic… maybe 50-75%.

The FAA has done it nicely – re-broadcasting the primary radar info into TIS-B… Not going to happen here!

EGTR

What we are seeing is a classic marketing issue: until you offer a proper set of features (“convergence”), people won’t buy it. The market in this case is highly fragmented.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

The point is “only ADS-B in coverage” is useless because so many aircraft don’t emit ADS-B out.

Agree to disagree – my point is that having ADS-B IN only is better than nothing, when there is no coverage.

Snoopy wrote:

What other solution is there to show traffic like Safesky at low cost of entry (Safesky is free and to run in background is 34,99€ per year)?

Define low cost? For me, anything that costs less than two hours of flying is low cost, so ~£300 is in the ballpark and actually works, unlike SafeSky (which does not work for ME and some other people I know).

Snoopy wrote:

I don’t understand the Apple/Android analogy.

Meaning it is more of a personal preference/religion thing.

EGTR
381 Posts
Sign in to add your message