Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Misc. electronic conspicuity boxes: Garrecht / Air Avionics / TRX-1500A / Air Connect / PAW / PilotAware / LXnav / PowerMouse / FlarmMouse / Flarm / Uavionix / SkyEcho / SafeSky

On the French Safesky website it says “télécharger c’est gratuit” “download it is free”
The RSA and FFPLUM both think it’s a free service, and everyone I know has been using it without charge for a while now.
Ah I have just realised that maybe you are talking about your phone connection via a Sim. I couldn’t tell you.about that as for all flying stuff I bought a supermarket sim for my smartphone at €9.95 per month including 40GB data and all telephone calls within France. I have also used it in the UK and have not had an extra bill yet. I’m sure there are extra charges or will be sometime, but so far so good.🙂

Please don’t get the impression that I am pushing any sort of system over another as IMO different equipment is needed for different sort of flying and is also country dependent. I was just pointing to what most club, ULM and experimental flyers are doing here. The fact that it is free makes it something one can test at no cost and say “I like this” “I don’t like that” “It doesn’t do this or that and I need it.”
You have to also remember that French pilots prefer to spend their budget on actually flying.
Just noticed there is a premium subscription service at €30 something per year.

Last Edited by gallois at 29 Feb 08:35
France

The systems which re-radiate traffic data over mobile data have no viable business model. Other ways have similar issues.

Coverage tends to be nil above about 3000ft, but it varies.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

Just noticed there is a premium subscription service at €30 something per year.

You´re not pushing anything at all @gallois !! I for one totally agree with you, that SafeSky is a great additional (for some the one and only source) of traffic information or transmitting “visibility”. Reliable or not – if it can give you any “heads up” of sorts, coming from ANY source be it ADS-B, Flarm or whatever is broadcasted via SafeSky, why not have it displayed? Nothing is lost for the user (traffic in), and even less is lost by the “poor” transmitter (traffic out) (eg. paraglider, glider or who ever holding his cellular/mobile device in his pocket transmitting his position to you or anyone else!). It can only be a win! Nothing else.
The premium subscription is paid when/if you want to integrate the SafeSky generated traffic for display on you navigation applications (such as EVFR, SkyDemon etc.). But, you don´t have to buy this service to have the traffic displayed (as you know), you can simply have the SafeSky application running side by side. It´s a free choice.
To me it´s a no-brainer – I´ve added the premium service and have a lot of traffic displayed on my iPad, via SkyDemon, that is not picked up by Sky Echo 2 (on ADS-B IN or Flarm).

Peter wrote:

Peter29-Feb-24 09:2220
The systems which re-radiate traffic data over mobile data have no viable business model. Other ways have similar issues.

Coverage tends to be nil above about 3000ft, but it varies.

Most air traffic departing, landing and doing circuits at airports (controlled or uncontrolled) tends to fly below 3000ft (AGL) !! ;-)
Some traffic in uncontrolled airspace doesn´t have radios, nor transponders or they might transmit in foreign language only. They might have SafeSky on their iPhone/mobile device – and this traffic you´re likely to pick up and “see” and they might see you! All of them are 3000ft AGL or below – I promise you that!

I understand that most service without a viable business model won´t survive in the long run, however, I´m not convinced that SafeSky doesn´t have a bright future, or a potential viable business model. I see a great purpose and potential in it.

Last Edited by Yeager at 29 Feb 09:50
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Peter wrote:

How can I display SIL=0/1 ADS-B data on this panel (or any other certified panel)?

I’m using a Stratux EU to display all TXP targets, (excluding Mode A) on my Dynon. The box costs peanuts.
I’ve checked the TB20 against the STC AML and it’s there

Last Edited by RV14 at 29 Feb 11:02
Poland

This dialogue is now utterly meaningless.

Administrator

RV14 wrote:

I’m using a Stratux EU to display all TXP targets, (excluding Mode A) on my Dynon. The box costs peanuts.

I really appreciate the additional situational awareness that traffic from the SE3 on my ipad with SD and on my EFIS provide. I just wish more people would install ADS-B out, particularly when they already have a Mode-S transponder that can be easily and cheaply upgraded to ADS-B out.

https://trig-avionics.com/caa-conspicuity-rebate-last-chance-to-claim-250-installing-trig/

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

It’s not totally trivial. To do ADS-B OUT with a TXP you need a SBAS GPS somewhere, and while a GTX345 contains one, you still need to install an antenna for that. So it isn’t a slide-in replacement of say a GTX330. And if you have an SBAS GPS in the panel then one needs to wire that up (which is simple but you need to find an installer who doesn’t do a complete hash of it) to say a GTX335. I will be doing the GTX335/345 route at some point since it can be done “surgically” i.e. low risk.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I will be doing the GTX335/345 route at some point since it can be done “surgically” i.e. low risk.

Good to hear! One down, 10,000 to go! :)

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

I really appreciate the additional situational awareness that traffic from the SE3 on my ipad with SD and on my EFIS provide. I just wish more people would install ADS-B out, particularly when they already have a Mode-S transponder that can be easily and cheaply upgraded to ADS-B out.

Ok but the cost for almost all VFR traffic is kept high and another point is that every ADSB-out trace goes to internet. During my last meeting with french VFR mountain pilots, they almost all carry a flarm emitter/receiver that has :
-2 to 5 miles distance detection range
-low cost
-easy display with proximity alerts
-no trace on internet, unless you get close to a glider base that is broadcasting through OGN.

I would advise to go this way because we don’t really care about getting seen by a liner, the real threat comes from other VFR traffic – all the more than more and more conspicuity boxes can read Flram traffic. For those who want to see their trip on FR24, they can buy an ADSB-out…

Last Edited by greg_mp at 01 Mar 09:38
LFMD, France

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

I just wish more people would install ADS-B out, particularly when they already have a Mode-S transponder that can be easily and cheaply upgraded to ADS-B out.

I think most people now at least seriously consider Mode-ES/ADS-B out, quite a few people I know have voted for that options. Some even install GTX-345 or -345R for IN/OUT, and espcially IFR pilots really pay attention to that one.
In some places there is a requirement to have ADS-B OUT for training aircraft in others – ADS-S OUT or Mode-S.
So yes, it is actually gradually progressing… It’s a shame that there is no certified solution for the weather-IN (I know that PAW does it, but it is uncertified world).

EGTR
Sign in to add your message