Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

If you updated an early 172?

RobertL18C wrote:

I am also trawling through the NTSB, and 4 out of the 6 carb/induction icing accidents, only 3 resulting in minor injuries in the subsequent forced landing, were O-300D engines

False direction of thinking. The Lycoming, for better or worse, in the carb ice sense, has a reputation which includes the fact that the carb bolts up to the oil pan, with warm oil in it. There is a belief that makes Lycomings more carb ice resistant. Have a look at the O-300, ’same arrangement of carb attachment. The O-200 (otherwise similar to the O-300) is branded as a carb ice monster. As it was so branded, I recall being wary of carb ice in the 150. 3000 hours later, I can say that during all that time I have had only one carb ice event which was worrisome, and it was my failure to manage properly, any engine would probably have done it to me. I learned something from that, and have never had a repeat. It was a design flaw in the earlier carbs, later corrected. The 172 I just bought has the same poor arrangement, and is going to be changed as a part of the rebuild.

All of these aircraft are certified, and have demonstrated carb ice can be managed. I would not choose a type or not based upon mysteries of carb ice, just manage it in the type you select. A carb air temperature indicator is always a worthwhile investment.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Pilot_DAR wrote:

A carb air temperature indicator is always a worthwhile investment.

Absolutely. I had one in my 150 I had and loved it. It also showed me that quite a few ideas about how and when carb temp is in icing range were outright wrong. Before I got the gauge, I had two rather scary carb ice incidents, thereafter it was a piece of cake to avoid them.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Pilot_DAR and M_D thank you. A carb temperature gauge will definitely be fitted. In terms of avionics fit am thinking of swapping the typical King 170 for a reconditioned 430, and keeping the ADF if it is in working order, and the usual Mode C. Most don’t have a DME, might fit a reconditioned one if it is going to be used for IMC/IRR training, but even this type of training is quite limited.

A 172 is not going to get airways or international use in a club context, so not sure there is a need for Mode S.

Probably fit an ELT?

The other item is to ensure all the seat belts, seat racks are in very good order. Might retrofit the BAS four point system.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Because it fits to the thread – that’s https://www.pilotundflugzeug.de/forum/2016,11,12,05,3516690 what someone did in Germany with an old C 172 Reims Rocket. 26K EUR were spend inclusive a new Trig radio with installation , spare parts and some repairs.

EDLE

Seat belts – yes. Bear in mind that there are several Cessna service letters which state that seatbelt webbing older than ten years, is no longer airworthy. This may be a little conservative, but it is a certainty that 50 year old webbing is not airworthy. And if you ever see the seatbelts which have the cam buckle which engages the webbing rather than a metal “other half” fitting, those are absolutely unsafe, and indeed outlawed in Canada – replace them, they are very old, and unsafe, no matter what the webbing condition.

Some Cessna seat belts have a pin on the “tang” half of the lap belt, which accepts a keyhole type tab on the shoulder harness. If you must have this type (I don’t like them) absolutely assure that the tang with the pin is on the same side of the seat as the shoulder harness is attached. What you absolutely do not want is a situation where you are hanging by the seat belts, unlatch the lap belt, and are still connected by the shoulder harness to remaining lap belt across you. If you are hanging by such an arrangement, you cannot release yourself until you remove the tension on the keyhole connection – really difficult.

A few Cessnas left the factory like this. I flew a 182 configured this way last week, and pointed this out to the maintainer. It’s not an AD, but it should be. I believe that Cessna hopes it will fix itself as diligent owners replace seatbelt assemblies every ten years. Optimistic of them.

I like Hooker four point harnesses, and have them in all my planes. I recommend them to anyone who will listen. Maximum protection, minimum risk.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Because it fits to the thread – that’s https://www.pilotundflugzeug.de/forum/2016,11,12,05,3516690 what someone did in Germany with an old C 172 Reims Rocket. 26K EUR were spend inclusive a new Trig radio with installation , spare parts and some repairs.

Thats a great restoration job on the Reims Rocket. I went to see one this weekend which turned into a complete waste of time. The old boy of 82 years old selling it had bought it as an insurance write off and rebuilt the front of the aircraft himself with some freelancers. I knew when I tracked the prop I was onto a looser but I said I’d look at the books since I had come this far. Turns out he rebuilt the engine himself in his garage and got some similar vintage guy to sign it off. No W&B, no equipment list, no AD compliance, no vat receipt, missing logs just a right pigs ear. Lots of people rattle on about the buyers being time wasters, and brokers being sharks. In my experience its the sellers that can cause the most of the problem.

Last Edited by WilliamF at 14 Nov 15:36
Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

William you have to kiss a lot of frogs! Although I believe in the original Grimm Brothers’ tale the Princess doesn’t kiss the frog, the kissing of the frog is a Walt Disney embroiderment.

RobertL18C wrote:

Modern 26 G front seats

I thought 26 G seats are used in helicopters. And in planes with airframe parachute. You know, things that crash land mostly vertically.

Martin when Cessna re started production in the 90’s they brought in 26 G seats, and airbags.

RobertL18C wrote:

Martin when Cessna re started production in the 90’s they brought in 26 G seats, and airbags.

Interesting.

RobertL18C wrote:

Although I believe in the original Grimm Brothers’ tale the Princess doesn’t kiss the frog, the kissing of the frog is a Walt Disney embroiderment.

I believe she threw the frog against a wall in the original. That embroiderment would have to be old, I know that kissing version from childhood (not sure from where, but I think my parents knew it too) and Disney wasn’t exactly a big hit around here I believe.

Sign in to add your message