Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Musings about the "restart" 172s

My former aeroclub in Italy had a 172S (180hp) and I flew it quite a lot between 2006 and 2012. My current club in Germany has a 172R (160hp) and I just put it through its paces on my flight to Great Britain last weekend.

During the flights, I often mused about the differences between the “restart 172s” (built after 1996) and the “legacy” models, say the “N” or “P” (160hp, built between 1977 and 1986).

Generally, I do think that Cessna did a lot of things right when they restarted production (as apposed to Piper, who did almost nothing beneficial to their aircraft when the Warrior III and Archer III were introduced in the mid-90s, including the placement of switches in an akward “overhead” position).

Here are my “likes” and “dislikes” of the R and S model 172s. Would be interested in other views or experiences.

1. the fuel injected IO-360 engine; runs smoother and is actually more fuel efficient, since one can run it somewhere near peak EGT. Also sounds much better than the O-320. Better utility for IFR.
  2. somewhat improved overall aerodynamics
  3. Points 1 and 2 combined make for some very respectable economy cruise performance. The R can be flown, low-level, at 2100 RPM and close to peak EGT, which yields 109 KIAS at 29 litres per hour (see photo at the end). In order to get Ns or Ps to run 109 KIAS, one has to push them really hard and the fuel flow will be 33-34 litres). The Rs and Ss can actually be run at 24 lph and still do 100 knots. That’s almost the fuel flow of a 152.
  4. The S model is a decent short-field performer.
  5. stuff just tends to “work” (which is obviously a consequence of these being much younger than the legacy Cessnas.
  6. The big 201 litre fuel tanks. This, in combination with point 3 gives the aircraft a very respectable range.
  7. much improved panel lighting

Dislikes:

1. has been said very often: they are simply too damn heavy. The lightest ones (the very early ones, with six-pack) are somewhere around the 750kg mark. Many are in the 770kg range. Those with the G1000 (2006 and after) even weigh around 800kgs. While the MTOW has also gone up, power has remained equal (at least for the R models) and overall, useful load has decreased.
  2. I hate the seat belt arrangement in the front seats. The reel mechanism is akward. The shoulder strap tends to rub on the neck (I know, the “old” should strap wasn’t any better…) Also, the shoulder straps (plus the headrests) totally block the view for the rear passengers. A number of people has made the remark to me that they felt “isolated” in the back.
  3. in the earlier versions, the front headseat jacks are in an awful position (on the front doorpost) – the cables constantly get into one’s way. This has been changed after a few years.
  4. the number of fuel drain valves. A bad joke…
  5. the lack of the 40 degree flap setting. I know this was changed earlier (1980) but it becomes much more apparent in the R and S models. Probably due to their overall aerodynamic improvements, it is damn difficult to make good short field landings. When alone on board, one has to cross the threshold at 50 knots or so, and even then, the aircraft will still float quite a bit and continue fly until under 40 knots indicated before it wants to land. Probably just a matter of practice and getting used to, but so far, I found it much more difficile in the short field landing scenario.
  6. no support for mogas (as opposed to the P model). I guess some private owners use it anyway, but on paper there is no ceritifcation.
  7. in a “club scenario”: people just don’t get around the correct start procedure for the injected engine and often flood it or drain the battery. Not really a flaw of the aircraft, but still a fact.

Here’s the mentioned photo. 2000 feet, 109KIAS (didn’t bother to set the “true airspeed indicator” correctly), 2100 RPM, 29lph. And this particular aircraft is without wheel pants (“spats”)…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 May 20:22
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Wow. Fuel flow in liters. Ours is in Gallons. We have the NAV II non G1000.
Empty weight is 762kg. We operate of a 500 mtr grass strip. With some practice it will use a lot less for landing, but sometimes most of it for takeoff!
I agree with most of your points.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

800kg is quite lardy for a 172!

A 1946 Stinson 108 with a Lycoming -360 has an EW of 590kg and is recognised as being built as a tank and sports a 380kg useful load, apologies for thread drift but even early 182s came in with EW below 800kgs.

I agree the 172SP has been updated with some 21st century safety features: G1000, 26G seats, air bags, fuel injection – a very capable aircraft with a decent safety record.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Compare it to the C172M with the 150hp O-320 (until 1977). This was the last model that was lightweight and still had the Mogas-certified engine. The successor N with the 160hp engine only caused trouble and lost its extra HP by extra weight. My average fuel consumption (including takeoff) was always exactly 28l/h.

The restart 172s are fat ladies that need a lot more gas. I never understood why Cessna allowed this to happen. Of course the 8 or 9 drain valves add a lot of value…

Are the G1000 planes heavier? They should not be. The individual avionics are very heavy – especially a gyro horizon.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Our Cessna 172S G1000 has an empty weight of 796kg, so in essence a 2-seater + luggage if you need the range and top off the tanks.

On the flight school I remember there were both older Cessnas and the new ones.
When flying both airplanes regularly one notice the handling difference. The newer one being heavier (and newer) is more stable and more precise.
This is one of the first items on my “likes” list.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

We have a Cessna 172b from 1961 with the smoothest O300, 626kg empty and a MTOM of 998kg. On our trip to the Aero she did 107KTAS in FL75 at 20 something kilos below MTOM burning 30lph incl. Climb (partially to FL95) Take off, Taxi, etc. with 2450 RPM.

Looks like the real legacy models are indeed quite competitive. And she has all the good stuff. 40degrees manual flaps and trim, sexy fastback fuselage, short nose wheel fairings, and good VFRavionics (sixpack plus NAV, COM, Mode S, DME, ADF, GPS)

Last Edited by mh at 05 May 08:05
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I think 2014 could be looking at the ‘beginning of the end’ of the C172 production. The R model is no longer manufactured (or last none were produced last year). Right now, we had 106 S models built in 2013, the trend line would suggest below 100 for this year. I feel Cessna will cease production soon – there will be too much competition from companies who are more interested in their product – think Tecnam P2010 or FlightDesign C4.

Will Cessna keep the production line open when quantities drop to 90,80,70,60 p.a.? I don’t think so.

Well piper have produced a diesel and there was a large marketing push for the 172td in the past so it wouldn’t take much to revisit. If it brings say 15% reduction in operating costs then I am sure they would sell.

31 Posts
Sign in to add your message