Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Old 172 0-300 upgrade or just overhaul (if possible)

My 1964 172 needs an overhaul. So I was wondering what are the options to upgrade the engine. It’s on a G reg, so there is no chance of getting anything done in America. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

D a v i d
EGTR Elstree

Hi, what are the symptoms that convince you to overhaul the engine? Oil pressure, metal, compression, corrosion etc etc

Obviously there are options that range from beyond the value of a 145hp 172 like the 180hp upgrade right back to the most economical overhaul of the existing engine.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

It’s more a case of the plane has been sat on the ground for 2 years. I am undecided what to do with it. My medical was removed, but I believe I will be ok now. So I am just thinking about options.

D a v i d
EGTR Elstree

The engine is probably fine. If you want to sell it drop me a pm.

If you want to keep it, service the engine, boroscope it, record compressions, do oil analysis and it’s likely to be just grand. In cases like this in the past I used to pull cylinders, hone them, seat the valves and put oversize rings in. If not started in two years fog it with LPS through breather and plug bosses, then get oil pressure up with spark plugs removed by turning it on starter.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Start by getting your medical back and then pay someone to get it airworthy with that same engine without overhaul. That’s my opinion.

The 180 hp Skyhawk(I think that is the name) upgrade is really great if you consider an overhaul/engine swap later on.

ESSZ, Sweden

WilliamF wrote:

If you want to keep it, service the engine, boroscope it, record compressions, do oil analysis and it’s likely to be just grand.

This.

With Continentals, look for the problem (if there is one), fix the problem, keep operating. Do not overhaul unless an overhaul is obviously required. My O-200 went more than 3500 hours. I decided to overhaul it when I found a little steel in the filter. It turned out to be a piece off the alternator drive coupling (which I could repair be only removing the alternator). The rest of the engine was fine inside, and went back together. I did “overhaul” it, as it was apart already anyway, just $1000 worth of new parts, and I retained the replaced parts (which still measure airworthy) as spares for the future. I have another 1500 hours on it since.

Do have the oil pan inspected for corrosion, that is a problem with them. If you have a corrosion problem in the oil pan, let me know…

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

It’s on a G reg, so there is no chance of getting anything done in America.

A used part (which includes your own engine overhauled) needs an EASA-1 form, or a dual-release 8130-3. Some US engine shops can issue the latter. Pen Yan is one of a number. The US offers a lot of choice of highly reputable engine shops. The drawback is that you need to ship it there; see e.g. this.

the plane has been sat on the ground for 2 years.

There is a fair chance it is corroded but you may be lucky. It has happened. If you pull a cylinder you can inspect a part of the camshaft etc and that will give you an idea. But the oil filter and oil analysis will be informative too and that’s a lot easier.

Has the engine been run at all since standing around for 2 years?

I would borescope it via the spark plug holes (all cylinders) first. If you see rust, you know what needs to be done…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Our over 2000 hour O200 was not run for over 2 years, not flown from 7/1/2017 until 29/6/2019. No problems have been seen so far. The cylinders had oil sprayed into them, but no plugs fitted, and it sat in a damp hangar. Oil was changed before and after storage.
It was ground run shortly before I flew it’s first flight since a wing recover and some re-glueing.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Oil was changed before and after storage.

That’s really smart.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Doesn’t the Conti design have an advantage during periods of inactivity? Something about the location of the cams?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message