Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CD-300 diesel engine certified

On June 20th, 2017 EASA issued the type certificate for Conti/Technify/Thielert’s new engine:

https://www.easa.europa.eu/system/files/dfu/EASA%20TCDS%20E104_Centurion3_Issue01.pdf

http://www.continentaldiesel.com/typo3/index.php?id=58&Year=2017&NewsID=186&L=1

The Centurion 3.0 engine is a V6‐cylinder, four stroke Diesel piston engine with an displacement of
2987 cm³, equipped with common rail high pressure direct injection, turbocharger, gearbox with
reduction ratio of 1 : 1.66 and an Electronic Engine Control Unit (EECU).

Weight 265kg
Certified altitude: 25,000ft

The CD-300 series engine has a three-liter displacement and generates 300 HP (221 kW) at 2,340 propeller rpm, offering unprecedented low noise levels for an engine of that power. As with most of Continental Diesel engines, the CD-300 comes with true single lever control and a dual, fully redundant electronic engine and propeller management system (FADEC). Additionally, common rail technology, direct injection, twin turbo charging, liquid cooling and an advanced reduction gear system complete the state-of-the-art design features of the new engine and clearly demonstrate Continental’s leadership in new technology applied to general aviation. The type certification was conducted under the requirements of the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and validations by the FAA and CAAC will soon follow. The CD-300 is available to aircraft manufacturers and STC houses and the first applications are expected for the beginning of 2018.

Sounds great,

But ouch 265 kg? That would make some nose heavy airplanes quite a lot heavier in front, might have interesting consequences on spring bias controlled airplanes during landing (hint cirrus)

I believe thats 50 kg heavier than most engines

Not really. All turbocharged continentals are between 230 and 250 kgs (minus the weight of the parts that self-consume in flight). The Cirrus engine is 262 kgs.

Will it have an urea tank? :D

Put one on an Acclaim and you get Acclaim speeds at TB20 fuel burn.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 02 Aug 17:13

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

Will it have an urea tank? :D

It will use the Piper cockpit hose to inject the AdYellow additive.

The weight is not a huge problem I think, it is not far off similar AVGAS engines. You save some kg on the propeller which is wooden (MT).

The CD-300 is available to aircraft manufacturers and STC houses and the first applications are expected for the beginning of 2018.

This probably refers to Cirrus. If it’s say 30kg heavier and you need counterweights for balance, you can do that without losing range as the engine burns less fuel mass than an AVGAS engine (say 20% of 230kg fuel is 46kg).

I can imagine a lot of very interesting applications of this engine. TB20, C182, Mooney, Piper Lance, almost all twins…

Good news. Would be a great engine for a lot of planes… Certainly interesting for the current Mooney series.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Do you realistically see it in your foreseeable future, for your T182RG?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

If my money was in it, I would start with Cirrus (which they’re doing, probably a factory option at some point). Then I would do Cessna 206 and if it’s cheaper than SMA, also Cessna 182. Those aircraft are all in current production which makes it easier. Cessna already ship CD-155 equipped C172 from the factory.

Retractable gear aircraft such as the Cessna TR182 are much more difficult as you can’t easily reorganize the cowling content to fit the engine. I don’t expect the TR182 to ever see a diesel engine STC, only 1500 units built (R + TR).

I’d bet a lot of money that there will never be a Diesel STC for the retractable 182s. Just forget it.

BTW, I don’t think a single 172 JT-A has been shipped to a customer yet.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The C172 JT-A will sell. Tens of thousands of future airline pilots are being trained all around the world. That market they can take pretty much for granted.

The only reason we have good supply of AVGAS in Egypt is the Egypt Air Flight Academy with their fleet of C172. All airports they use for training gets AVGAS and when they switch from one airport to another, AVGAS moves as well from one to the other. I think the next round of aircraft will be 172 JT-A and this will further accelerate the decline of AVGAS in many parts of the world.

Not necessarily. Remember your recent calculation regarding the 182? It’s the same here. A new 172 JT-A will cost 450k€ when everything is paid and done. If it’s just about the Diesel, they will get a bunch of 1973 C172Ms for 30k and put the Centurion in for another 80k. If you really want a full glass panel you can get that for another 40k. Anyway you slice it, new diesel aircraft only sell in minimal numbers, at least if the airframe isn’t significantly better than its fourty year old cousin. And what could you improve about a 172 airframe? The only thing that comes to mind is the parachute, but that isn’t a must for 172 which stalls at 40 knots.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 02 Aug 18:22
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
68 Posts
Sign in to add your message