Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

If you updated an early 172?

That is an amazing trip Robrt – thanks for posting it.

The guy was really well prepared

20-30 hours in a C172!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

How on earth did he get a C172SP to 17,000 feet!?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@A_A I think this was on a shake down cruise – one up, and not full fuel, the 180HP SP might get to FL170.

@Peter 20 hours plus is nothing, a 172 was flown nonstop over Las Vegas for nearly two months!

http://www.countyairports.org/History/History_LongestFlight.html

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

@A_A I think this was on a shake down cruise – one up, and not full fuel, the 180HP SP might get to FL170.

Got to try that sometime…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The old POH show a 155 fpm climb at 2000 lbs, ISA and 15,000 feet, so arguably a 172SP might achieve a bit better than 200 fpm in similar conditions – so you could spend a good fifteen minutes trying to nurse her up to 17,000 feet from 15,000 feet, assuming very calm conditions.

Reading at bit further…..

The 172 climbed with myself, some luggage and full tanks to 16,700ft pretty easily. At 16,000ft I was still able to climb100-200ft/min while maintaining 105kts air speed

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

I may have missed something earlier but the OAT makes a massive difference. I can do anything from (approx) FL170 to FL230, in ISA+15 to ISA-15 respectively, all at MTOW. The only reason I never went above FL210 is because on the one occassion I saw sufficiently cold air I would have needed a popup clearance into Eurocontrol airspace and I just can’t get that in the UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

…ISA -15oC at FL170 is roughly a density altitude of FL150.

Am slowly narrowing down the search and while the Continental O-300D engine is much beloved by owner/operators for its smoothness, the Lycoming E2D variant is preferred by owner/fleet managers. Also an alternator is preferred to a generator. Pity as the 172E has the Johnson bar manual flaps preferred by some.

I am also trawling through the NTSB, and 4 out of the 6 carb/induction icing accidents, only 3 resulting in minor injuries in the subsequent forced landing, were O-300D engines. This is over the last ten years. The other two were an M and N variant.

Small fleet/maintenance owners prefer the 172, but some clubs prefer the Warrior – however Warriors under 10-15,000 hours are thin on the ground, while there are quite a few 172 under 5-6,000 hours.

All of that sounds right to me, for your use and interests. Good luck!

Sign in to add your message