Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Funny random stuff

Valve amps might sound “nice” but that’s just playing tricks with the human audio anatomy. There is no concept of “sound reproduction accuracy”. You get loads of nice smooth 2nd harmonic, but you could build a solid state amp which emulates that. It’s already been done – digitally (DSP) AFAIK

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You get loads of nice smooth 2nd harmonic

Not on mine you don’t – they’re balanced so 2h cancels.There’s some 3h at low levels. What there ISN’T is high order harmonics, nor intermodulation. Personally I think THD is pretty useless as a measure of anything. As you say we can handle any amount of 2h, in fact our outer ears produce it (no idea how, but apparently they do). Whereas high order and especially intermodulation sounds awful. To the extent that magic cables etc do anything at all, it’s probably by avoiding pumping external interference into the NFB loop of typical heavy feedback transistor amps.

When I was auditioning amps for London, I tried a zero feedback transistor amp – expensive. It sounded truly appalling.

LFMD, France

All snake oil I have been designing and building this stuff for decades. But one can’t argue with imagination, placebo, etc. Zero feedback is also complete nonsense.

Administrator

The amount of stuff you need to watch for and monitor these days while automation is running…

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/04/tesla-smart-summon-feature-apparently-allows-model-y-to-crash-into-multi-million-dollar-private-jet/

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Apr 07:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

… funny, but not…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Headlines in the UK today ….

United Kingdom

Gosh this is Grade A serious stuff. Much more important than the war in Ukraine, so instead of googling on 155mm ammunition compatibility I did a google on “angela rayner legs” and found that even the bastion of British civil liberties is carrying the story

Of course the French are ahead in this area.

Administrator

Should you fail the Isihara test you now know why:

EDQH, Germany
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Pretty sure that happened ages ago, no??

Sign in to add your message