Police check on pilots departing before filed EOBT

Rob2701 wrote:

So, lessons learned was to always try to find customs

If you adhere to the notified times they will

• either come to you, or
  • be somewhere where you have to pass going airside to landside, or
  • not turn up at all

Rob2701 wrote:

and don’t take at face value the responses from airport staff.

That’s for sure. You can say the same thing about forums.

It reminds me of one conversation with the handling at Calvi where I made a tech stop before proceeding to Albania. The staff insisted that there was no need for customs/immigration and I insisted I wanted to see them. In the end, infuriated, they drove us over to the terminal where we went to the PAF office to check out. When I got back to the GA terminal I had a calm conversation with the lady and explained to them how it works.

Rob2701 wrote:

On a more wider issue, customs don’t always turn up and weather can change within that PNR24 which necessitates either an earlier or later departure. So should one amend the time and email again?

Absolutely. The next best thing is to stand next to your aircraft for customs to show up if you arrive early, give them a phone call to inquire whether they have any interest in you,

The thing is that your PN is a commitment. It is like a hot date. You don’t want to stand her up. If you decide not to show up, you should tell her. If you are late or early you should tell her to avoid that awkward moment.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 09 Nov 13:20
LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

It reminds me of one conversation with the handling at Calvi where I made a tech stop before proceeding to Albania.

If you made just technical stop (nobody leaves the aircraft, nobody boards, you don’t go to terminal), assuming that checks were done at your departing airport, there was no need for customs or immigration check. So they were right you were wrong.

Last Edited by Emir at 09 Nov 13:26
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

If you made just technical stop (nobody leaves the aircraft, nobody boards, you don’t go to terminal) there was no need for customs or immigration check. So they were right you were wrong.

That is a very sensitive subject and I had fun with the German customs over this who accused me of a customs violation and threatened with a 20k€ fine. In the end I won but the risk is high because in case of a customs infraction, they just estimate what items you “smuggled” and there is always the aircraft and they calculate the VAT on it plus a fine on top. A lot of money.

In order to not have a customs/immigration effect, the transit zone of the airport has to meet certain criteria. Which criteria — hard to say. Nobody would claim that Indians who travel from India to the US via Frankfurt have to clear customs in Frankfurt but when you land with your GA aircraft with a technical landing on the international airport of Belgrade and never leave the apron, there is suddenly the need for a lot of explanation.

Emir wrote:

If you made just technical stop (nobody leaves the aircraft, nobody boards, you don’t go to terminal), assuming that checks were done at your departing airport, there was no need for customs or immigration check. So they were right you were wrong.

It was tech and customs. I came from LFPT (not port of entry) and needed to go through a port of entry to leave EU and Schengen. So I was right, and they were wrong (and so are you ) But it was indeed more than just a tech stop.

But had it been just a tech stop, you would have been right. On my way from Albania to Portoroz I landed at Dubrovnik for fuel (much cheaper than in Tirana). So I should clear customs+immigration at Portoroz. The handler however insisted on presenting me to the Croatian immigration just to be on the safe side. The policeman made very clear to the handler what he thought about being disturbed in the middle of his Internet surfing for no reason.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 09 Nov 14:11
LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

The thing is that your PN is a commitment. It is like a hot date. You don’t want to stand her up. If you decide not to show up, you should tell her. If you are late or early you should tell her to avoid that awkward moment.

I have always emailed a cancellation notice to customs if I have previously emailed for PNR24. On this occasion it was lesson learned, no drama or fuss just an email with an apology. However, in situations like this one, my French is not good enough to make that telephone call, its good enough for the social side in France, eg, hotels and restaurants etc. I keep meaning to get some lessons to expand my French vocabulary.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Rob2701 wrote:

I keep meaning to get some lessons to expand my French vocabulary.

Get yourself a hot date you do not stand up and it will do wonders to your French

LFPT, LFPN

I meant verbal French lessons…….

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Is there a requirement for customs/immigration police at international airports to speak English?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No, there is no such requirement and it wouldn’t be justifiable.

Peter wrote:

Is there a requirement for customs/immigration police at international airports to speak English?

Judging from common standards, no. But if you get detained and do not speak the language, I suppose they put you in a holding cell for the time it takes to find a translator.

This is a little old now, but I remember an episode in Italy where my wife insisted on speaking English to the policeman who kept on speaking Italian. Her argument was that immigration officers should be proficient in English.

When in Turkey I cannot recall that they spoke English.

More recently in Portoroz I was checked by a police officer who did not speak much English beyond “Passport” and "not valid’ while my wife chatted with the customs lady in English. I suppose that those who do speak English get better jobs elsehere.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 09 Nov 15:49
LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message