Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

boscomantico wrote:

It is “dynamic” when in flight.

I would expect that but seemed not, unless I misinterpreted. Can you point out where in the settings I can check ?

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Peter wrote:

BRUSC6R is the 2nd from the bottom but you would not have got any clue to that. This is frankly an unworkable naming system.

I can’t agree with this. BRUSC6R is exactly where you would expect it to be – it’s RNAV departure from runway 30R so it’s stored in item “RNAV Rwy 30R”.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

You are smarter than me

But also I now know the answer, so EuroGA has delivered the goods

But I still think this is a stupid system. The AIP plates are produced by the same system which employs ATCOs who read out the departure clearance… The reason it works ok is because nobody uses the AIP plates (except GA pilots with no money).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But I still think this is a stupid system. The AIP plates are produced by the same system which employs ATCOs who read out the departure clearance…

Coming back to same old topic… Why AIP plates are not produced in the same fashion as Jepp plates? EASA could mandate the format and made the plates uniform and at Jepp usability level the same as free plates are available and usable in USA.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Same place as where you set the planning parameters. Here are my standard settings:

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Why AIP plates are not produced in the same fashion as Jepp plates? EASA could mandate the format and made the plates uniform and at Jepp usability level the same as free plates are available and usable in USA.

Because the CAAs have a secret deal with Jeppesen to not interfere with their business.

Of course I can’t prove it but it started with the legal action against Jepp (for copyright) by the Australian CAA. That was settled under a top secret NDA, details of which never leaked (when I spoke to a high ranking CAA guy about this I got only a smile and he didn’t need to say any more) but circumstantially it is really obvious that a deal was done. I’ve been in business since 1978 and the signs of under the table activity are always the same.

Similarly, Eurocontrol worked hard to prevent autorouting providers from competing with Jepp and Universal. That deal de facto ended by about 2010 when the whole thing got blown wide open by some tools: Autoplan, FlightPlanPro, and others. FPP was taken over by Rocketroute. The Autorouter came later. Autoplan had a superb product (the guy is on here but I won’t say more) but got frustrated by Eurocontrol blocking their validation gateway, first by HTTPS and later by doing it as a Flash movie (you would have to OCR it). This is one of the victims

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Same place as where you set the planning parameters.

Sorry I might not have been clear in my initial post. The issue I was speaking about was in FF. Will clarify my post.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Peter wrote:

(except GA pilots with no money)

Or too cheap to pay extra for the Jepp charts that are the same for all countries.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

Or too cheap to pay extra for the Jepp charts that are the same for all countries.

… or print the charts on the ground, because they don’t have any device that could display / geo-reference the plates in the air (Jepp demands android only, there is NO CHOICE, and the world %% of people that use Android is much higher than Apple).

EGTR

I guess it is one of the many features that FF does not have, which they promise for ages, and after ages, it eventually comes.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message