Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero/Friedrichshafen 2013

Yeah,

according to WeahterPro, friday still looks OK as well. But saturday looks horrible, with lots of rain and low temperatures. I'll be there in the car, anyway.

BTW, a heads up for those who wanted to go to Konstanz (EDTZ): it has been closed for the entire week (due to a flooded runway). See here.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Emir: call them on the evening before you fly and ask for an earlier slot. Chances are good you will get it.

Thanks, I will.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It's impossible to reach slot registration number - I'm thinking of switching from Saturday to Friday because of the weather. However, on some weather forecasts Saturday doesn't look so bad, some sites forecast thunderstorms in the afternoon. Having to cross the Alps (eastern, lower side) at FL120 in the afternoon/evening doesn't look inviting in such conditions. The question is: can somebody recomend reliable :) forecasting web site covering this area?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

On a quick look, a flight from the UK on Friday and back on Sunday does not look at all good, with a nice big front (and especially a transition between a cold front and a warm front right on the route; this usually means thunderstorms) and some convective weather around generally.

I have a slot booked for Friday 1200 or so but there is no practical way to give it to somebody due to the idiotic telephone desk they are operating. I would also have a spare hotel room going...

I will make the final decision tomorrow but it is PROB90 an airline job. Especially as my stormscope has stopped working...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I booked Friday 4:20-4:40 UTC :) for arrival. It will be a very early flight with waking up at 3 am and taking off at 4 am local time. I guess I'll witness dawn in the Alps :) The lady at booking asked me for the outbound slot claiming that it's necesarry for IFR departure. I didn't book anything because I didn't know when I would be fit to fly :) after such morning but I guess I can submit Z plan, depart VFR and include somewhere to IFR, something like:

KPT/N0135F120 IFR L856 SBG M141 LNZ L604 PETOV

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The show is definitely starting soon. Today at our airfield, 5 guys from Oxford stopped on their way to Friedrichshafen (by car), taking pictures of every airplane. A PC12 was there as well, needing only a bit more than half of our 750m runway to land.

With the weather being difficult, you will find that a large percentage of people will cancel and you will get departure slots as you please.

@Emir: you can choose any IFR waypoint or VOR radial + distance marker as pickup point.

With the weather being difficult, you will find that a large percentage of people will cancel and you will get departure slots as you please.

I'll call them Thursday afternoon to check if there's something more convinient for inbound but we're 3 pilots in TB20, one can always sleep while two others actually pay attention on flying - we'll survive this early wake up.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

We have a 12:45-13:00 UTC slot on Friday flying from Gloucester UK.

I Hope the forecasts are being pessimistic.

Gloucester UK (EGBJ)

Do you have oxygen, Steve?

On this occassion I can't do the usual smart thing which is to make the final decision on the morning of the flight - because a 3rd person would be coming who can't be messed around. So I will make the decision tomorrow. And I am pretty sure what it will be. I had enough hassle last time, diverting to Stuttgart and ending up with a horrid 3hr drive trying to get around roadworks and collecting 3 camera tickets. And we only just managed to stay on top at FL200, in somewhat similar weather.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

GA sucks, expensive, useless, dangerous

Sign in to add your message