Welcome to our forums

Aero/Friedrichshafen 2013

Somebody has a sense of humour in the juxtaposition here

How can one get such a registration?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hello!

How can one get such a registration?

In Germany, the first letter after "D-" stands for the aircraft category, in this case, the "F" mean single engine above 2 tons. The other three letters are completely your choice, you can get whatever is not already taken!

Regards Max

PS: Nice to be able to meet you in person!

EDDS - Stuttgart

So, you are telling me that if I was 2000kg+ and I picked "UCK" and it was not already taken then nobody in the German CAA would spot it?

The nearest thing I have seen to that is this.

Good to meet you too

Administrator

Haha, I missed that registration -- too attracted by Anastasia at the front. That would have fit nicely on a TBM850... I guess in theory there is filtering of registrations just like for cars. If you use a foreign language, then it gets easier to fool the inspector

D-F... means Eurocontrol airway fees so I find that registration to be quite good.

Last year I did see Euro vfr charts on the ifd540. Essentially they are the same cmax charts as used in the Avidyne equipped cirrus and the 500 and 600 mfd's.

If anybody can confirm that they have the vrp's?

Been at Aero this year for the first time on thursday. I landed VFR in St-Gallen and rented a car at Sixt. It is a 45 minutes drive. Totally fine alternative to Friedrichshafen' slot mess.

I was surprised by the amount of gyroplanes. They seem to be probing for interest in this sector. Sounds like a cheap way to tour around a grass strip but not really for anyone willing to go to places.

The tecnam P2010 4 seaters look promising. A nice alternative to the 172. To me, Cessna and Piper had nothing interesting to show. The panthera was drawing a lot of attention.

However, like Peter said, most of the action was around LSA / VLA. In this sector, the Aerospool WT10 caught my eye. A 4 seats version of the highly successful WT9. And there is a lot of fine 600kg - rotax - 2 seaters. Not many are certified but it is coming.

All in all I found Aero to be interesting and I would recommend anyone with even remote interest in aviation to go there once in a while.

"Garmin had a huge stand (Avidyne just a tiny one) but no new avionics. It could be a Europe-only thing but maybe this shows the real situation in the marketplace.

I noticed Avidyne had a Shadin fuel totaliser on their stand so I asked if the IFD540 (scheduled to be available Dec 2013 BTW) would accept the fuel data from it, to display the Landing FOB. Guess what the reply was? You've got it! "Not in the initial release". What are these people smoking?"

Peter,

It is exactly for these reasons that we decided to throw out the old stuff and replace three boxes with one (in the panel that is). We threw out the KLN94, KMD550 and a KX155A for one new Garmin GTN750. Avidyne has tried for years and with later and later availability to sell me an IFD540, starting at USD9000 a couple of years ago. The GTN is available now, it plays nicely with the Fuel Totalizer in the JPI830 we added, gives us 8.33kHz and is a pleasure to use after being used to the awkward KLN94 interface.

German magazine Aerokurier were so impressed with the new setup that they did a report on our installation in their current issue.

Not only do we have the nice toy today and not December2013+ (we don't believe this is final and of course Avidyne need to deliver all the prepaid boxes first, right?) we also got a good discount on the new hardware, got paid a nice sum (over 9000USD) for the old stuff, making this one of our better investments.

If anyone is interested in the installation our T182T will be in the UK from May 9 to the 12th in EGMC and EG34 (York). I am not in the avionics business, just a happy customer, so don't worry about a sales pitch from me but would be happy to meet you :)

best regards Martin

EDLN and EDKB

"In this sector, the Aerospool WT10 caught my eye. A 4 seats version of the highly successful WT9"

WT10 - it´s not a 4 seater for me, it´s 2+2. They kept front seat position (basically sitting on main wing spar) and added 2 seats in the back. It´s going to be pretty limited on rear seat loading - unless you fly only kids there....

LKKU, LKTB

It is exactly for these reasons that we decided to throw out the old stuff and replace three boxes with one (in the panel that is). We threw out the KLN94, KMD550 and a KX155A for one new Garmin GTN750.

Funnily enough the Garmin rep told me the GTN also does not accept fuel totaliser data...

You are saying this works on your aircraft i.e. the GTN computes the Landing FOB for the destination airport, based on the current GS and distance left to run?

Even the KLN89 and later boxes do that.

Administrator

The GNS430 does it so why should the GTN suddenly not support this?

Sign in to add your message