Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glasses / spectacles and medicals (merged)

Serengeti non polarized gradient. Paid ca. 85$ US. Best flying glasses imho!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 30 Jan 22:09
always learning
LO__, Austria

Wait until you need prescription glasses Then it gets more complicated.

One approach is here and another, less legal and more difficult to get made, but more effective, is here. Another thread is here for glasses which specifically go under a headset.

It is pretty difficult to get prescription lenses made for wrap-arounds. The fashion brands like Oakley can make them but at a 2x higher price. One finds the same in skiing… I’ve gone to “exotic” (not necessarily very expensive) solutions for that.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have the Randolph with matte chrome frame (to minimize any sort of reflections). I find them very good, no distortion of any kind, and they wrap around enough, the gap around is minimal and does not disturb me. The fact that you can buy the size that fits your head is a clear advantage. The price is about one flight hour, spread over the number of years I’ve had them and hours I’ve flown with them, plus the future ones, in the end it’s marginal to irrelevant. You only have those two eyes to take care of.
I have never had other glasses though, so I cannot tell you if they are better or worse than model x or y.

ESMK, Sweden

Snoopy wrote:

Serengeti non polarized gradient. Paid ca. 85$ US. Best flying glasses imho!

Thanks! These seem to be quite popular!

AeroPlus wrote:

I have a tendency to forget my sunglasses somewhere on a terrace while of after drinking a nice glass of wine or a cold beer

That is exactly how I lost my previous sunglasses and hence am here asking for recommendations for my next ones… hehe

Arne wrote:

I have the Randolph with matte chrome frame (to minimize any sort of reflections). I find them very good,

Thanks for the positive comment on those! I do really fancy the Randolphs…
I also found it funny that you think of flying stuff in terms of the cost of a flight hour, just as I do sometimes, which I think is a very typical private pilot thing to do but it’s just fooling yourself really because so many things are “just one flight hour” or “just a couple of flight hours”… When I go out to dinner and it’s 50 bucks I think to myself, “nice, that was just half a flight hour”, haha. My rent bill is 7 flight hours. My salary is… Not that many flight hours, hahaha

Peter wrote:

Wait until you need prescription glasses

Well, in fact I do! My previous sunglasses were prescription. But now I’m thinking of combining them with contact lenses. I not too sure on whether contact lenses and flying are a great idea, but I will take spare glasses with me anyway for “emergencies”…

EDDW, Germany

Special requirements excepted, everyone will have their own favourite. I like my Lindberg titanium frame and have had one done with prescription lenses, but their prices are eye-watering, for the nice thin frames. You can easily pay €400… plus €200 for prescription lenses which – due to the retaining mechanism – have to be made specially by Essilor in France.

As discussed earlier in this thread, for flying one needs glasses with thin “side bits” and that restricts it considerably.

Also, in recent times, the spectacle business is moving away from bifocals to varifocals. I am totally convinced this is a revenue protection move. Varifocals are much more expensive, and less vulnerable to competition from Chinese “standard lens catalogue” manufacturers. It is possible to buy single prescription lenses for about €2, bifocals for maybe €4, plus a few € for a cheap frame, and there is a whole load of online sellers doing that. A high street shop cannot live on that; like Easyjet they need to charge an average of €100-200 to cover their fixed costs. I have just got some yellow ski glasses made, based on a Julbo frame from Amazon (great to keep the wind out) and they could not do the reading inserts (which would have no been an issue in years past) so they gave me a pack of £40 stick-on +1.00 ones… that frame was about €70 (CHF120 at Zermatt ) and the lenses were €180, and I struggled to avoid varifocals there. And varifocals are very challenging for flying, especially if you fly tight circuits and need to see the runway via the left bottom portion.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve had the RE ones for around 9 or 10 years I would think and I’m pretty pleased with them. I like the straight thin arms. However even then I find them annoying when under the headset cups. So I’ve found I tend to tilt them forwards so that the arms sit on my head above the headset ear seals, this works reasonably well.

Until I needed prescription glasses, I was very happy with ones I got at Oshkosh in 1987. Ex USAF, new. Cheap because the arms were unsuitable. I got suitable arms fitted at the local opticians.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I went to my local Specsavers in Cheltenham and they have been amazing.
Hit the age to need glasses to read charts (yes still use them sometimes lol) and they lent me a blank pair of the glasses I chosen to go and sit in the aircraft and mark up where I wanted the bi-focal split.
Had 2 pairs made. 1x a dark grey which I find good in normal/bright conditions and 1x a brown tint which I find better on cloudy days. Was tempted to try a green tint which someone said does both wx conditions equally well but just got the 2 on their 2 for 1 deal. Can’t be bad lol

EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS

Re bifocal split, I wear contacts and reading glasses when flying for that reason – it allows adjustment of the split line in real time. Generally I find I want to set the split higher than with glasses used elsewhere, despite also having had glasses made with an unusually high split line. Reading glasses are frameless, flat topped lens shape is important, and I am very fussy about the diopter strength: absolutely no stronger than necessary to read charts etc. I recently had to replace my fleet of carefully selected reading glasses with a new fleet one quarter diopter stronger

Despite wearing sunglasses most of the time otherwise, when flying I instead wear a baseball cap inside a smoked canopy (or under high wing) and with my normal contacts and reading glasses positioned optimally, I find it works well for me. Varifocals are completely unusable for me, either as sunglasses or otherwise.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Feb 15:56

Having tried various solutions I wear varifocals with a graded tint (dark brown top, clear bottom).

Err, don’t ask me how much they cost; I’m within 500nm of my wife right now.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message